opengl

Started by
24 comments, last by MJP 15 years, 6 months ago
Quote:Original post by Kwizatz
Tell that to the guys at Ogre3d [smile].

I think they already know. But isn't those just plugins? But like on professional games. who's going to really care if its has directX or Opengl based except for all the fanboys.

But iirc on OGRE, you can either support one or the other.
Advertisement
Another factor is how familiar/comfortable you are with COM interfaces, the win32 libraries, and all that jazz. There are subtle differences in D3D that make it seem more win32-ish. As an example, D3D uses specific functions to return state information and does so in (often large) structs. On the other hand OpenGL gives you a few general functions that returns a single state value. If you're already comfortable with Windows programming you probably won't notice the difference too much, but if you aren't it does make a difference.

Subjectively speaking, if you are starting from scratch OpenGL definately feels easier. Just create a new C file, a couple of lines of window/GL initialization code, and you're good to go. At the minimum, you'll only need to link to your windowing library (on top of the c-runtimes of course).
Quote:Original post by xZekex
Quote:Original post by Kwizatz
Tell that to the guys at Ogre3d [smile].

I think they already know. But isn't those just plugins? But like on professional games. who's going to really care if its has directX or Opengl based except for all the fanboys.

Especial “professional“ (we cook with the same water too) games use an API abstraction layer as they are developed with consoles in mind. So even if you plan to release on Windows and Mac OSX it is quite common to use Direct3D for Windows and OpenGL for the Mac. The reason for this is that you have no choice on the Mac but on Windows Direct3D is the superior system. This has nothing to do with ease of development as professional developers need to be able to master any API. It’s just the quality of the environment. Direct3D drivers cause less end user trouble then OpenGL drivers as one example.
You may also note that the PC and XBox are the only real DirectX platforms.
Every other platform (PC, Phones, PSP, PS3/PS2, Wii) has some variant of OpenGL for the graphics backend.
Quote:Original post by Demirug

Especial “professional“ (we cook with the same water too) games use an API abstraction layer as they are developed with consoles in mind. So even if you plan to release on Windows and Mac OSX it is quite common to use Direct3D for Windows and OpenGL for the Mac. The reason for this is that you have no choice on the Mac but on Windows Direct3D is the superior system. This has nothing to do with ease of development as professional developers need to be able to master any API. It’s just the quality of the environment. Direct3D drivers cause less end user trouble then OpenGL drivers as one example.

That is a biased statement.
Quote:Original post by KulSeran
You may also note that the PC and XBox are the only real DirectX platforms.
Every other platform (PC, Phones, PSP, PS3/PS2, Wii) has some variant of OpenGL for the graphics backend.

The XBox Direct3D is different from the PC version and I would not call the native PS3 API a OpenGL variant. The OpenGL ES for PS3 doesn’t count as it is not useable for real games.

At the end of the day every platform its own 3D API and you are back to the need of an abstraction layer again.

Biased from the professional game development point.

If OpenGL would work as well as D3D on the PC there would no need for companies like Blizzard to write an additional Direct3D renderer beside of the OpenGL one they do for the Mac.

Quote:The reason for this is that you have no choice on the Mac but on Windows Direct3D is the superior system. This has nothing to do with ease of development as professional developers need to be able to master any API. It’s just the quality of the environment. Direct3D drivers cause less end user trouble then OpenGL drivers as one example.
Biased how? I don't think anyone who has wrestled with OpenGL drivers on Windows will deny that D3D drivers are rock solid by comparison. OpenGL also has this massive problem that you can't detect what level of hardware you are running on, and end up with transparent, performance-killing software fallbacks.

Preferring one API to the other is of course a matter of bias, but it is concrete fact that D3D offers better functionality in at least a few areas, and that the drivers are more reliable.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Microsoft have done their part to kill the PC game industry for all non Windows Operating systems. When making games for a PC, portability isn't much of an issue, so DirectX will do that fine for most. CAD programs on the other hand do need to be portable and often end up being written in OpenGL, also, graphics utility programs don't often need the extra functionality that DirectX offers over OpenGL. I've not used OpenGL much at all, I didn't find it better or worse than DirectX, but that being said I stopped using it very quickly and stuck with DirectX, better to learn one and learn it well, than learn half and half of two and have lower quality software for indy devs, hobbiests and people who enjoy graphics programming.
As far as ease of use goes, I'm using D3D10 now for our renderer and I don't like how messy it is. Our OpenGL renderer on the other hand is very clean and straightforward.

Just my opinion, don't kill me please: the problem is that Microsoft's idea of abstraction doesn't make things any more high level or intuitive. I just find the API very far fetched and not intuitive at all.

Why are we supporting D3D in our renderer, you may ask. For Windows, of course. Like the posters above said, Direct3D is just rock solid in Windows.

My view on things:

- DirectX10 is ahead in features
- DirectX10 is superior on windows
- OpenGL is almost on par with DX10 in features but is always 1 step behind unfortunately
- OpenGL has a very simple and straightforward API without any ridiculous, farfetched abstraction.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement