Sign in to follow this  
Numsgil

Video in commercial project

I have a closed source commercial project running on arcade hardware (embedded XP and DirectX 9). I need to play videos (video + audio) in a texture. I know absolutely nothing about how video or audio is encoded, and I need to get this working in a short time. As far as I can tell, my options are bink or theora. Bink is probably the better choice, but it has that price tag on it, so if I can figure out theora, and theora will work, in a reasonable (1 or 2 week) timeframe, it'd be worth it. I've tried googling info on theora and video playback, but there's nothing. How much effort is theora to set up, and can anyone point me to a tutorial or something on setting it up with DirectX? Or offer an alternative (xvid is GPL, so I can't use that)?

I use Bink on XPe/DirectX 9 at work. Basically, Bink decompresses the video into system memory, and then you just copy that to a DX9 texture. Bink does all the sound for me, but I think you can tell it to output the audio to another system if you need it to.
I think it costs about $6000 tho, so investigating Theora will definitely be worth your time ;)

Quote:
Original post by Hodgman
I use Bink on XPe/DirectX 9 at work. Basically, Bink decompresses the video into system memory, and then you just copy that to a DX9 texture. Bink does all the sound for me, but I think you can tell it to output the audio to another system if you need it to.
I think it costs about $6000 tho, so investigating Theora will definitely be worth your time ;)

Yes, I hear excellent things about bink. But at 6K I wouldn't expect any less ;) Our project is large enough that we can afford 6K, but small enough that 6K isn't a trivial amount.