• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Numsgil

Video in commercial project

This topic is 3638 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a closed source commercial project running on arcade hardware (embedded XP and DirectX 9). I need to play videos (video + audio) in a texture. I know absolutely nothing about how video or audio is encoded, and I need to get this working in a short time. As far as I can tell, my options are bink or theora. Bink is probably the better choice, but it has that price tag on it, so if I can figure out theora, and theora will work, in a reasonable (1 or 2 week) timeframe, it'd be worth it. I've tried googling info on theora and video playback, but there's nothing. How much effort is theora to set up, and can anyone point me to a tutorial or something on setting it up with DirectX? Or offer an alternative (xvid is GPL, so I can't use that)?

Advertisement
I use Bink on XPe/DirectX 9 at work. Basically, Bink decompresses the video into system memory, and then you just copy that to a DX9 texture. Bink does all the sound for me, but I think you can tell it to output the audio to another system if you need it to.
I think it costs about $6000 tho, so investigating Theora will definitely be worth your time ;)

Quote:
Original post by Hodgman
I use Bink on XPe/DirectX 9 at work. Basically, Bink decompresses the video into system memory, and then you just copy that to a DX9 texture. Bink does all the sound for me, but I think you can tell it to output the audio to another system if you need it to.
I think it costs about $6000 tho, so investigating Theora will definitely be worth your time ;)

Yes, I hear excellent things about bink. But at 6K I wouldn't expect any less ;) Our project is large enough that we can afford 6K, but small enough that 6K isn't a trivial amount.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!