Sign in to follow this  
coolhelix

How to get normal vector at the edges of Bezier surface

Hi, guys, I want to generate a Bezier surface with shading effect. So, I have to compute the normal vector for every vertex (sampling point). I don't want to use the matrix, because the order of the surface would be very large. So I Use polynomial equation would be fine. I want to get the normal value of P(u,w), at position u,w, where u = 0, and w = 0. What frustrating me was that after computation, the tangent value in u and v direction are the same. Pu(0,0) == Pv(0,0) So, the cross product of these two vector was invalid. How can I resolve this issue? P.S. My code to generate the first derivative of Bernstein function. The code add some special handling to the extreme condition where t is 0.

//Get first derivative of Bernstein function
    float DBasis(int n,int i,float t)
    {
        if ( t == 0)
        {
            if( i == 0)
            {
                // n * Ni( n, i ) * pow( 1 - t, n - 1) * (-1)
                return (-n) * Ni(n,i)* pow( 1 - t, n - 1);
            }
            else
                return 0;
        }
        else if ( t == 1 )
        {
            if( i == n)
            {
                // i * Ni(n, i) * pow( t, i - 1)
                return i * Ni(n,i)* pow( t, i - 1);
            }
            else
                return 0;
        }
        else
        {
            //   i - n * t
            // --------------  * Basis( n, i , t);
            //  t * ( 1 - t)
            return ( i - n * t) * Basis( n, i , t) / ( t * ( 1 - t) );
        }
    }
Thanks, Ed.

If the direction of the tangent vectors of the parameters have the same direction then you have a 1 dimensional curve at that location, not a surface(so the normal isn't very well defined).

I don't entirely understand your issue, but it seems like you might be taking the derivative with regard to an axis (rather than a parameter)and getting a scalar representing a single component of the tangent vector(as opposed to a full 3 component vector). If that were the case and you were finding the derivative of something like a height map with respect to the x and y axis then you could put a 1 into the component that you were finding the derivative over and a 0 into the other component to extend those derivatives to 3 component vectors. So if you have dz/dx and dz/dy then your tangent vectors would be something like (1,0,dz/dx) and (0,1,dz/dy) which will never be in the same direction.

If that's not the problem then you may just be trying to find a value that isn't unique(the normal of a line). If your doing it for graphics then you could check the normal at a location on the surface very close to the point in question. It'd basically be equivalent to taking the limit of the normal as it approaches from a specific direction. If you're getting this result at more than a finite number of feature points then something else is seriously wrong.