Sign in to follow this  

Stop compiling all libraries on first error of a multi-library project

This topic is 3352 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey everyone, I've got a master project in Visual Studio 2005 with about 20 sub-projects included in it (Master Game solution, then lib's for Math, Graphics, Sound, etc). Often I've noticed that when there's a compile error in one of the dependent libraries, an error is reported and the next library (or master solution) starts building. Does anyone know a way in Visual Studio to make the compiler stop all compiling when the first error is reported? It would certainly make my life easier since I look at the bottom of the output window to see the build state and it's quite misleading at times. It's also quite time consuming to look at the output window when it could compile hundreds or thousands of files on a full rebuild.

EDIT: Sorry, I'm an idiot, it did not register with me that the dependencies were failing. What NicoG said.

---

I don't know of an automatic way to do this, but that's probably because Microsoft know you don't really want to do it (you just haven't realized it yet).

However, this may help you; In VS go to view -> Other Windows -> Error List

That window will show you errors/warnings that have occurred in the build process. Without exposing you to boat loads of output.

If you know that all your libs are going to fail because of one of the errors you see, you can just stop the build yourself. Generally you should just let it build; in larger projects building can take so long you might as well let it continue in the background while you try to fix the errors that have cropped up.

[Edited by - Symphonic on October 9, 2008 9:06:43 AM]

This topic is 3352 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.