Sign in to follow this  
j0mich01

libogg and libvorbis without dll

I'm just curious if there is a way to build libogg, libvorbis, and vorbisfile in a way that you don't need to distribute dlls. I'm using Visual Studio 2005 and I can build all the libraries, I'm just not sure exactly how or which ones I should link applications to. Would linking to ogg_static.lib, vorbis_staic.lib, and vorbisfile_static.lib be correct? Any help would be appreciated.

You would have to recompile the libraries themselves as static libraries. If you have .dll and .lib files, the .lib files will just tell the compiler that the functions will be loaded at runtime from the respective dlls. Why not distribute the .dlls with your app? This is what most games seem to do.

Thanks, that is what I'll probably end up doing, but from it looks like(from the project file), ogg_static.lib, vorbis_staic.lib, and vorbisfile_static.lib are built as static libraries. So technically, if I understand correctly, linking to those would eliminate the need for the dlls.

Quote:
Original post by j0mich01
Thanks, that is what I'll probably end up doing, but from it looks like(from the project file), ogg_static.lib, vorbis_staic.lib, and vorbisfile_static.lib are built as static libraries. So technically, if I understand correctly, linking to those would eliminate the need for the dlls.

Oh then yes linking to those would not require DLLs. I assumed it just came with one set of .libs. You can verify what DLLs your program needs by running it through Depenedency Walker.