Water rendering

Started by
6 comments, last by spong3bob 15 years, 6 months ago
Hi! in want to create a ocean... but really got no idea how to do it.. i know there are a lot of papers, but none of them explained how i get the pixel-color of a reflection/refrection they only always write about a reflection/refrection map, but i really got no idea how to get such a map?? until now i create the water like my terrain, that means a mesh with a lod-algorithm reading its height out of a heightmap.. no problem so far, but i need a realistic movement of the waves and a realistic lighting of the waves.. how many heighttextures should i use (now i use 2 of different sizes)
Advertisement
Hmmm, this is not a trivial task.
I would do plently of google-ing and see what comes up.
fluid simulations are a field unto themselves.

Do you want physically modelled 3d waves? If so it's a tall order, there are some methods of faking it, but generally it's quite a mathematically involved process (and usually not too kind to the processor either).

Here's a link to some different approches to do water rendering in games:
http://www.gamerendering.com/category/water/
i want to make 3d waves but if its 2 hard i think i have to make it 2d..

and the link doesnt work..
I'd suggest checking out the Nvidia FX Composer sample. It can do waves, 2D bump-mapping effects, or a combination of both. It also does reflections via a cubemap, which is probably the simplest and easiest way to add them. If you wanted you could extend that to have real-time reflections of scene geometry, or underwater refractions (these both require multiple passes, where you render the geometry to a reflection map or a refraction map).

This site has a few variations of the Nvidia shader using XNA, if that helps you out more than just an FX Composer project.
Ok, the link works fine for me. =/
now it also works for me... just didnt work for the first day (seems like the server was down)..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement