Creating DX10 textures with reference driver

Started by
4 comments, last by GoodFun 15 years, 6 months ago
Hi there, is it possible to create and save DirectX 10 texture maps on a machine that doesn't have a DirectX 10 graphics card? I don't need to display the data, or render anything at all, I just need to create a texture map, fill it with data and save it in .dss format. Also, has anyone tried if DirectX 10 works on Server 2008? Thanks Marcel
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by GoodFun
is it possible to create and save DirectX 10 texture maps on a machine that doesn't have a DirectX 10 graphics card?
Yes, D3D10_DRIVER_TYPE_NULL should do the trick provided you're not doing any render-to-texture work.
Quote:Original post by GoodFun
Also, has anyone tried if DirectX 10 works on Server 2008?
I'm pretty sure it does. I had Server'08 installed on my machine for a few days and ran a few tech demos and benchmarks. The main problem I had was that commercial apps are stupid in identifying the OS and claim that the WS'08 version number isn't a valid OS [rolleyes]

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Cool, that is very good news :)

Thanks
To use the reference driver you need to install the SDK as you can’t redistribute it alone. If I remember correctly you although need at least a Direct3D 9 GPU with WDDM driver.

But for your purpose you should try using a NULL device instead of the full reference device.
hmmm, I'm trying to get this to work but somehow I think my texture usage and bind flags aren't right... what values would I need to define in texture creation if I want to write to it and save it?

I'm using SlimDX, but I assume it shouldn't be any different from regular DX10.
ok, got the texture save to work... but with a NULL device, the texture seems to be empty... Using the Reference Driver I do get data in the texture map... now I have to try it on a machine with a non DX10 graphics card :)

Thanks for the help
Marcel

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement