Reccomend a Python GUI library...

Started by
7 comments, last by Zahlman 15 years, 6 months ago
I am currently using TKinter to handle my GUI, however I've discovered that the whole library is rather lack luster. I found this list of python gui libraries, but I was hoping someone could give a personal recommendation. Primarily I'd like your reommendations to be: (1) Easy to use (2) Able to run on Linux looking pretty is a bonus
Advertisement
I've used wxPython a bit (http://wxpython.org/). It wraps wxWidgets which is cross-platform and takes on the native look and feel of the platform you are working on. It is pretty easy to get up and running with.
Another vote for wxPython.
wxPython is certainly full featured and I find it a lot easier to work with than tkinter, but it still doesn't seem fully Pythonic to me. The bindings are generated automatically with SWIG and it's quite obvious (in at least some places) that the original interface was intended for C++ code. I found the built-in event passing model rather strange, too.

I started work on a wrapper a while ago, and gave up on it while being busy at work - which has consisted mostly of making a wrapper for the (fairly primitive) GUI support in some commercial middleware. The experience has given me quite a few ideas, so I'm hoping to resume the effort in the near future (hopefully without causing any problems with intellectual property stuff, but that's my job to worry about...).

Honestly I'm amazed tkinter made it into the standard Python library. I mean, StringVar? Is this a joke?
Quote:Original post by Zahlman
Honestly I'm amazed tkinter made it into the standard Python library. I mean, StringVar? Is this a joke?

You're not alone in this sentiment. In fact, upon first encountering wxPython, ESR said it should be included in the standard library and replace tkinter.
I think the problem with that is that wxPython is MASSIVE. It would almost double the size of the Python installer to bundle wxPython with it. So I can understand that they don't want to take that step.
I've looked at wxPython, but the build process is non-trivial (from what I can tell) and I do not have access to things like a package manager as I'm using school machines.

Are there any decent GUI choices that are easy to deploy or am I out of luck?
Quote:Original post by fpsgamer
Are there any decent GUI choices that are easy to deploy or am I out of luck?
If your app is strictly non-commercial, PyQT is probably your best bet - plus academic machines tend to have QT installed ;)

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Quote:Original post by fpsgamer
I've looked at wxPython, but the build process is non-trivial (from what I can tell) and I do not have access to things like a package manager as I'm using school machines.

Isn't there a binary or installer download for your platform?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement