Sign in to follow this  
steveworks

what's a good python text editor?

I recently instaled python on my new computer and tried to use IDLE. To put it bluntly it didn't work. I have used it in the past but even then I didn't like it. So I was wondering if there are any other good Text Editors that support syntax highlighting.(That means no NotePad) All help is appreciated.

I have been looking for Python editors from time to time myself.

Among the free ones SPE IDE (Stani's python editor) is quite popular.
However, since I was looking for something simple, I went with PyScripter.

If you are already using eclipse as development platform there is a python plugin for it that might be interesting as well.

well thanks for all the help. I downloaded notepad++ and I have to say that It works out very well. All I have to do is save my files with a .py extension and I have all the syntax highlighting I could ever need. It works for now and I like it. Again thanks for the help.

Though I like notpad++ I have one problem. when I am testing small programs I sometimes don't get to see their work because they close upon completion. Does anyone know of anything to add to the end of my programs to keep the command line open until I press enter or something like that?

I tried out several of the free Python editor and wound up coming across PyScripter, which is amazing. It is light weight, but still has all the features I'd realistically want for personal development. The integrated debugger is pretty frickin' sweet, especially considering the price of free.