Sign in to follow this  
littleeboy

how to do Vertex texture fetch for depth texture generated by FBO? is it possible?

the following code generates the depth texture,using fbo depth attachment. glGenTextures(1, &depthTextureID); glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, depthTextureID); glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE); glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T, GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE); glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_NEAREST); glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_NEAREST); glGenFramebuffersEXT(1, &framebufferID); glBindFramebufferEXT(GL_FRAMEBUFFER_EXT, framebufferID); // Set up some renderbuffer state glGenRenderbuffersEXT(1, &renderbufferID); glBindRenderbufferEXT(GL_RENDERBUFFER_EXT, renderbufferID); glRenderbufferStorageEXT(GL_RENDERBUFFER_EXT, GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT32, 1024, 1024); glFramebufferRenderbufferEXT(GL_FRAMEBUFFER_EXT, GL_DEPTH_ATTACHMENT_EXT, GL_RENDERBUFFER_EXT, renderbufferID); glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0,GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT32, 1024, 1024, 0,GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT , GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, NULL); glFramebufferTexture2DEXT(GL_FRAMEBUFFER_EXT, GL_DEPTH_ATTACHMENT_EXT , GL_TEXTURE_2D, &depthTextureID);, 0); glDrawBuffer(GL_NONE); glReadBuffer(GL_NONE); GLenum fboStatus = glCheckFramebufferStatusEXT(GL_FRAMEBUFFER_EXT); if (fboStatus != GL_FRAMEBUFFER_COMPLETE_EXT) { fprintf(stderr, "FBO Error!\n"); } glBindFramebufferEXT(GL_FRAMEBUFFER_EXT, 0); today only the GL_LUMINANCE_FLOAT32_ATI or GL_RGBA_FLOAT32_ATI texture internalformat can be used for VTF(is it right?),then how can i use VTF for the generated depth texture. if i use glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_LUMINANCE_FLOAT32_ATI , 1024, 1024, 0,GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT , GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, NULL),then will get "FBO Error". Thanks a lot

Its not strictly true that only GL_LUMINANCE_FLOAT32_ATI and GL_RGBA_FLOAT32_ATI are supported for ATI, it depends on the driver/card. For one, I know that some non-floating point formats are supported on current NVIDIA Mac drivers.

GL_LUMINANCE_FLOAT32_ATI or GL_RGBA_FLOAT32_ATI are part the old extension. Feel free to move up to GL_ARB_texture_float
As far as supported formats, it depends on the GPU. I don't know what Gf8 and Gf9 support.
Certain ATI cards will return 0 for
glGetIntegerv(GL_MAX_VERTEX_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS, &MaxVertexTextureImageUnits);

You can use GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT32 and it will work except it will run the vertex shader in software mode.

Thanks V-Man

i use Geforce 7300 card,

glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT32, 1024, 1024, 0,GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT , GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, NULL);

Now the depth texture internalformat is GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT32.Because VTF need

GL_RGBA32F_ARB or GL_LUMINANCE32F_ARB,so the depth texture couldnot be used for VTF.Is it right?

The conclusion that depth texture couldnot be used for VTF is right or not?

If this returns a non-zero value
glGetIntegerv(GL_MAX_VERTEX_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS, &MaxVertexTextureImageUnits);
then you can use vertex texture fetch. That's all that GL tells you.

If the GPU supports GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT32 sampling from your VS, then it is ok.
If not, it will run in software mode.