• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Need help using array of structs within a class

This topic is 3484 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to make the constructor create an array.
        struct index { 
            int x;
            int y;
            char object;
        }; // symbols[254], colors[15]

So when the constructor is called, it'll make colors[15], for example. In the constructor I used:
index colors[15];

And it compiles up to that point, finally. But after that I try to assign it a value in a method:
colors.x = (x + (i * 2));

'class Tools' has no member named 'colors' 'colors' undeclared (first use this function) So... does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong? It seems to work fine if I declare the array in the struct like so:
        struct index { 
            int x;
            int y;
            char object;
        } colors[15];

but that's not what I want. Thanks.

Advertisement
Judging from your constructor code, it seems you're simply creating a local array of 15 index structs, which is destroyed as soon as the constructor exits. It also seems you're mixing the common typedef syntax commonly used with structs in C with declearing data members.

Is something like this what you're shooting for?

struct index {
int x, y;
char object;
};
class tools {
public:
void foo() {
int x = ..., i = ...;
colors_.x = (x + (i * 2)); // Use the array 'colors_'.
}
private:
index colors_[15];
};

I'm not sure I understand your question, but I hope this is helpful. The tools class has a simple data member which is an array of 15 index structs.

If I understand what you're asking, then you should consider using a std::vector<index> in your class. Then you can use the member initialization list to set the size. Ex:

class Tools {
public:
Tools() : colors(15) {}

std::vector<index> colors;
};

Is this what you're after?:

class Tools
{
public:
// no constructor needed

void f(int x, int i) { colors.x = x + (i * 2); }

private:
index colors[15];
};

Quote:
Original post by SiCrane
If I understand what you're asking, then you should consider using a std::vector<index> in your class.

Good advice. Should've mentioned that. [totally] If you're not comfortable with arrays yet, I suggest reading and practicing with them until they become more familiar, but there's no reason not to take a look at the std::vector container right away either; it behaves much like an array but is safer, providing bounds checking, automatic resizing, copy semantics, etc..

To put it simply, I just want to be able to declare an array of my structure in my constructor.

Oh, I think I was thinking about it wrong. I might have it now... I have to have it setup as a private member of the class and then the constructor can initialize x/y/object. That's why I wasn't thinking straight... I thought I needed to init the struct.

dmatter's example made it click for me. Thanks all...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement