Sign in to follow this  
chadsxe

How do you convert 'const TCHAR *' to 'LPWSTR'

Ughh...I learned this before but I for the life can figure this out. 'CWaveFile::Open' : cannot convert parameter 1 from 'const TCHAR *' to 'LPWSTR' Long story short the program has a standard of passing const TCHAR*. But somep outside functionality is being added in that has a few functions that except LPWSTR. For example
bool E_XAudio2::LoadFile(const TCHAR *Filename){
    //Read in the wave file
    CWaveFile wav;
    if(FAILED(wav.Open(Filename,NULL,WAVEFILE_READ)))
		return false;}
Any help with be greatly appreciated Regards Chad

Since you are working with a TCHAR and need it to be a LPWSTR, you will have two cases to handle: 1.) the TCHAR is a a multibyte string, to which you have to convert into unicode or 2.) the TCHAR is a unicode string and it is ready to be used as a LPWSTR. Here's an example that I think should do what you need it to:

int result = 0;
#ifdef _UNICODE
// Filename is already a LPWSTR, so it is safe to just type cast the pointer
result = FAILED(wav.Open((LPWSTR)Filename,NULL,WAVEFILE_READ));
#else
// Filename is a multibyte character, so we have to convert to a wide character string
size_t length = _tcslen(ptr); // Get the length of the file name
wchar_t * wideFilename = new wchar_t[length + 1]; // New memory for the wide string
memset(wideFilename, 0, sizeof(wchar_t) * (length + 1)); // 0's out memory
mbstowcs(wideFilename, (const char*)Filename, length); // Convert, might need to check the return value
result = FAILED(wav.Open(wideFilename,NULL,WAVEFILE_READ)); // Store the result, since we need to free memory
delete [] wideFilename; // Cleanup memory
#endif
// Regular processing
if(result)
return false;

When _UNICODE is defined, your TCHARs are wchar_t's. This means, the filename is already a unicode string and you can typecast the pointer and pass it to the function.

When _UNICODE is not defined, your TCHAR is a char. You have to explicity convert the char * string into a unicode string. I choose to use mbstowcs, but there are Windows API functions as well you can use that let you set more options.

Hope that makes sense!