Sign in to follow this  
kize37

Multiplayer Game Show Question

I need some help. I was wondering if anyone can give me any ideas on how to start programming this idea. I like to play trivia games with family and friends, I would like to build this system. I have some visual basic background but have no clue as to where to start interfacing 3 LCD monitors. A multiple contestant game show like jeopardy that is controlled through my laptop. I need the software to interface with the usb port for the contestants monitors and buttons, I'm modifying a usb keyboard. The contestants will each have a box built by me with a momentary push button, microphone, and a 17" vga LCD monitor. I need to be able to display contestants name and score on each of their monitors and be able to score each contestant. Thanks, Todd

You might want to just buy an existing controller of some sort. For example, the Xbox has the "big button" controller for trivia shows -- you may be able to read that on Windows using the XInput API.

I'm assuming that everyone will be in the same room (no networking involved). If so, then you can get a few USB graphics cards (something like: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815290006) and plug them into your laptop to control the screens.

Thanks for your reply.

That's what I would like to use. I am just having trouble getting started.

Let's say in vb6 I make 1 form for each player and on these forms I have 2 labels. 1 for name and 1 for score. Now if I make 1 more form called host for my laptop to control the scores, which has for example 2 buttons, 1 correct and 1 wrong. How Can I send each form to each players monitor and have my host form control the players monitors?

Thanks,

Todd

The Ghetto way of doing it would be to just move the windows where they're supposed to go, once, and then remember the window positions in a settings file. All the displays will make up a desktop together, that you can move the mouse and windows across.

If you want to automatically fill each window, you can use the function EnumDisplayDevices to find the information for each device. I think WinForms also has a managed wrapper for that. Unfortunately, I don't know Visual Basic at all, and VB6 was before .NET, so if you don't know how to call Win32 from VB, you'll have to find a VB specific forum to ask in.

You can also look at the documentation for the Monitor Configuration APIs on MSDN.