Sign in to follow this  
dehseth

3d terrain

Hi, i have started to study directX with c++ about 3 months ago. i got the idea of how it works, what is mesh, vertex, HLSL, rendering pipeline etc. Now I want to write an actual simple game for a start, and my problem begins... I want a car road (can be high way, state way, etc.) and a car moving on the road. Well I do not want a stragiht road, i need curves, trees around, ( most likely a road in 18 wheels of steel game) So I started to search about how to generate a map like that and still dont have the idea... Where can i start to learn abour rendering terrain? How to create a generator, which will read a file I have created and render it as road.. Thanks...

Game design is not quite the right place for this kind of question; Game Design refers to the mechanics that make up the gameplay rather than technical implementation details.

As for your question; generating the underlying terrain shouldn't be too hard; there's a whole load of well known techniques (perlin noise, midpoint displacement to name a couple) for generating random terrains. A quick google search should reveal a whole load of detailed explanations of how to do this.

However, for generating the roads, I don't think there is quite so much information readily available. A quick search for "Procedural Road Generation" turns up some links that might point you in the right direction, but they seem a bit short on details; you might have to come up with a solution yourself. Certainly generating a believable, winding road to fit on a randomly generated terrain sounds like quite an interesting challenge.

Hello
Some heightmap generators can generate roads too, like freeworld3D... but this software is not free.
And then you have to create the heightmap displaying code that is not really difficult if you are just using one texture (it gets a little bit more complicated with multitextures) because it is different from displaying a mesh.
If you have further questions about heightmaps, I can help and there are plenty of web pages about it.
Hope it helps
Cathy

www.vterrain.org is THE place to go to for terrain rendering info.

There's a new paper that would be of particular interest to someone who wants to render terrains with roads here but it sounds like you need to master heightmaps and techniques first. There is plenty of useful stuff about that on vterrain - watch out for some of the older techniques though, they are not the best way on new hardware.