Sign in to follow this  
CodeBoyCjy

how to get the vertex format of a model in XNA??

hey: I want to get the vertex position from the Model. But the vertex buffer provides me the data with the form of an array of BYTE. I think I need to know the vertex format to parse the array. Actually , I just need to know the size of each vertex is enough. How could I get the info?? Any help will be really appreciate.

You'll have to loop through all the ModelMeshParts in all of the ModelMeshes that are part of the Model. ModelMeshPart has a VertexDeclaration property that will let you access the declaration, or you can just just the VertexStride property to find the number of bytes per vertex.

I just figured out how to do this. I did it in a way that gives the maximum and minimum vertices.

VertexPositionNormalTexture[] vertices =
new VertexPositionNormalTexture[map.model.Meshes[i].VertexBuffer.SizeInBytes / VertexPositionNormalTexture.SizeInBytes];
model.Meshes[i].VertexBuffer.GetData<VertexPositionNormalTexture>(vertices);
Vector3[] vertexs = new Vector3[vertices.Length];
for (int k = 0; k < vertexs.Length; k++)
{
vertexs[k] = Vector3.Transform(vertices[k].Position, model.Meshes[i].ParentBone.Transform);
}
Vector3 max = maxVector(vertexs);
Vector3 min = minVector(vertexs);
Matrix m = Matrix.CreateFromYawPitchRoll(
model.rotation.Y, model.rotation.X, model.rotation.Z) *
Matrix.CreateScale(model.scale) * Matrix.CreateTranslation(model.position);
max = Vector3.Transform(max, m);
min = Vector3.Transform(min, m);

The vertexes array ends up being 3 times longer than the amount of actual vertices because each vertex is stored 3 times (for a reason I couldn't explain to you).

(The vertexes array ends up being 3 times longer than the amount of actual vertices because each vertex is stored 3 times (for a reason I couldn't explain to you).)

I'm realy sorry that I want to know the reason of the 3 times space. I found that last night , I'm a little confused. In the .fbx , there are only 8 vertexes which is what I want , but when I load them in the XNA's Model , the vertex number turned out to be 24 which means there is no vertex reuse. Why?? And each triangle gets three vertexes with the same normal , I think it's a waste of space. And if the 3 times space vertexes exist for a reason , why do we need index? Why don't we just order the vertexes rightly??