• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
this_is_phil

OpenGL GLSL or Fixed Function?

This topic is 3601 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am very Interested in learning to program 3D graphics and I have tried both D3D and OpenGL and I found OpenGL to be the most agreeable of both the APIs. Because of this I have decided that I am going to buy the OpenGL Library book set which contains the OpenGL Programming Guide and the OpenGL Shading Language guide. I do not currently know a lot about 3D programming but from what I have read I have become aware that shaders are rapidly becoming the way to go when carrying out 3D graphic programming. So my question is this, would it be a reasonable decision to try to go straight into learning GLSL and using the red book as a reference if I need to know something about OpenGL which isn't covered in the orange book,or would it be better to learn fixed function methods first and then trying to tackle GLSL? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Advertisement
Well when OpenGL 3 comes out with drivers. The Fixed Function Format will be removed competely(depecated). So after 3.0 you have no choice but to use Shaders only just like OpenGL ES 2.0 which is shaders only. So you choice of Cg/FX or GLSL

The only real reason to use the fixed fuction pipeline these days is to support legacy hardware that can't do shaders - mostly older laptops these days. If that's not an issue then by all means start straight away with shaders, in many cases they actually simplify things since you can see exactly what's going on.

Quote:
Original post by xZekex
Well when OpenGL 3 comes out with drivers. The Fixed Function Format will be removed competely(depecated). So after 3.0 you have no choice but to use Shaders only just like OpenGL ES 2.0 which is shaders only. So you choice of Cg/FX or GLSL

Deprecated is not the same as "removed completely". The functionality still exists, but it's marked for removal in the future and it's advised that you avoid using it.

Quote:
Original post by OrangyTang
The only real reason to use the fixed fuction pipeline these days is to support legacy hardware that can't do shaders - mostly older laptops these days. If that's not an issue then by all means start straight away with shaders, in many cases they actually simplify things since you can see exactly what's going on.

Quote:
Original post by xZekex

Deprecated is not the same as "removed completely". The functionality still exists, but it's marked for removal in the future and it's advised that you avoid using it.

Yeah i typed it wrong :\

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!