Sign in to follow this  
Rammathorn37

PhD??

Alright while I've enjoyed dabbling in programming for some time and been working in IT for a year or so, I really feel a personal need for a formal education. I live in Central Florida and UCF has an undergraduate and graduate program. I'm looking to not be the guy in the cubicle pecking away at code for some company that doesn't even know why they hired a programmer (even though that would be so much better than what I'm doing right now), instead I'd like to be working on large projects that would have far reaching affects on our world (very grandiose I know) which makes me think grad school. My question, is a PhD going to make me look over qualified for most positions? Should I stick with just an MS? Question thoughts concerns???

Most positions, yes. It will, however, make you look quite well qualified for some zero experience positions that pay anywhere from 120K to 150K a year, depending on where you go. It's a lot of work, but you better believe it pays off.

Thorny question:
>I'm looking to not be the guy in the cubicle pecking away at code

Don't knock it, kid. That's valuable experience, and it doesn't have to be for the rest of your life. Nobody goes to medical school to become an intern, either -- but the medical internship is a necessary phase to becoming a full doctor.

>for some company that doesn't even know why they hired a programmer

Stop painting reality as nothing but ridiculous situations. No game company EVER hires a game programmer without knowing why they hired him. Probably NO company outside of games does, either. Come on!

>instead I'd like to be working on large projects that would have far reaching affects on our world (very grandiose I know)

And you're posting on a game development forum why? I'm not saying games can't be positive (I've made lots of positive games). I'm saying you're showing a tendency to overexaggerate. I mean, you exaggerate everything so much, the universe is going to explode!!!

> is a PhD going to make me look over qualified for most positions?

It could. But don't let that stop you, if you want a Ph.D.

>Should I stick with just an MS?

You have to get the Masters first, if you're going to go for a Ph.D., don't you? So why not go get game industry experience after you have the Masters, and do the Ph.D. later? There's no negative stigma to having a Ph.D., AND game industry experience. You apparently are an "all or nothing" kinda person. There is such a thing as a happy medium (and I'm not talking about a tipsy spiritualist).

>Question thoughts concerns???

Yes. Maybe. No. Sometimes. Ohmygawd!!!!!