Is this degree reliable?

Started by
4 comments, last by Chrono1081 15 years, 6 months ago
Hey guys, I am a student that is looking for a good but not overly expensive college for game programming. At the moment I am looking at DeVry university's game and simulation programming bachelor's degree. I was just wondering if that degree is considered ample education for an entry level job in the industry? Or is the degree not highly valued? If it Isn't, could someone be kind enough to list a few prestigious game programming degrees? Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
No, quite the opposite.

Georgia Tech's CS program is something to look into. Last I heard their program was quite good, and local to you.
At over $300 a credit I wouldnt call Devry a cheap school. As for its degree, it apparently worked for Allen Sherrod.

If I were you I would look into a 2yr community college get your A.S. and then like Telastyn said get into a 4yr school.
Yes I heard GA tech is a very good option, it's just at the moment my GPA isn't good enough for it I don't think. I have been given advice that, as stated, a community college is a good start and then I could go to tech. And it is true that DeVry isn't exactly cheap, but it's cheaper than tech. I just heard that DeVry's claims (that 90% of graduates are employed in industry within six months) weren't completely true, so I wanted to make sure before I invest in something as huge as college.
Quote:Original post by wux? If it Isn't, could someone be kind enough to list a few prestigious game programming degrees?

CMU, and
SMU are the only ones I can think of.

I know a few people with a degree from devry who work in the games industry (hence why I enrolled and I love it there).

Be warned though if you choose DeVry. They cover a lot of material in a short amount of time. You will be studying a lot. Not to mention the school is year round. (You can opt for semesters off if you wish though). I really like how they break your classes down though. Most colleges you go full time and take 4 classes in a 16 week period. You do at DeVry too, however they do 2 classes for 8 weeks, then 2 more for 8 weeks. I find this a lot nicer because it only gives you two classes to concentrate on at once verses four. That being said the workload is double of that of a normal college.

One more thing I should add: The type of school you choose depends on the type of learner you are. I went to a local tech school, then to penn state, then to devry. I preferred the tech schools over the 4 year campus because it was more hands on core courses and less general education courses. Some people like it the other way around. The best advice I can give is try and talk with a student who has been to the school you are looking in to and get their opinions, see what type of projects they have done, etc. Any which way whatever school you choose just remember, its all what YOU make of it.

[Edited by - Chrono1081 on October 11, 2008 2:54:59 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement