Sign in to follow this  
cdahmedeh

New to C++, interested in game programming...

Hello, I'm currently interested in game development. I know that I cannot except to make some top quality game just after a month of learning. I have a solid base in Visual Basic.net programming, and can make certain applications such as a calculator, calendar, etc. I've also programmed a few games in Visual Basic, such as a fully functional game of Yahtzee, and Pong. I'm willing to learn C++, which seems like a very interesting and flexible programming language. However, I don't know where to start, I started the tutorials on http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/ and I'm currently started the "classes" part of the tutorial. I'm also using Visual C++ and want to learn more about it also. I've heard of many engines such as Allegro, and so on, but where should start ? After I master the basics of C++ syntax where should I go ? Also, what kind of first applications should I make so I can learn C++ ? I'm really enjoying learning C++ right now during my free time. I'm excepting to make simple games like Tetris, and maybe a few simple 3d games. I'm not currently interested in commercial-level games. So what websites should I go to, and what should I read on the internet ? I'm not really interested in books, because it makes it feel more like I'm doing some academic work. Thanks

A lot of people on here will recommend Thinking in C++.

It takes a very object oriented approach, which is vital to becoming a good C++ programmer.

The best part, is it's free (legally).

Here's the link, and have fun :-D

Link

Thanks very much for the book, much more detailed than that on line tutorial. I have a question, I've noticed that when I create a new console application in Visual C++, I've noticed that the program always starts with this code :

// asdffd.cpp : Defines the entry point for the console application.
//

#include "stdafx.h"

int _tmain(int argc, _TCHAR* argv[])
{
return 0;
}

Should I keep this code, because I've noticed that its not possible to compile the application without this part.

Thanks

if you change to:

// asdffd.cpp : Defines the entry point for the console application.
//

#include "stdafx.h"

int main()
{
return 0;
}

IT should work fine, if not, change int main() to int main(int argc, _TCHAR* argv[])