Sign in to follow this  
PaulHolverda

Scaling matrix ofsetted from the origin

How to build a scaling matrix, that scales an object that is not located at the orign, right now i'm sucbtracting every coordinate from the center, scale/rotate, and then translate back, i want to combine it one matrix. Paul

Matrix multiply the scaling matrix M by translation matrix T and -T. I.e. OffsetedScale = T.M.(-T) where T translates the origin to the center. OffsetedScale will do everything you need. Of course, you will need homogeneous matrices for this.

alMatrix4 mat1, mat2, mat3;
mat1.identity();
mat2.identity();
mat3.identity();
mat1.setTranslation(-m_position.getX(), -m_position.getY(), -m_position.getZ()); //translate to origin
mat2.scale(m_dragScale.getX(), m_dragScale.getY(), m_dragScale.getZ()); //scale
mat3.setTranslation(m_position.getX(), m_position.getY(), m_position.getZ()); //translate back
m_transformMat = mat1 *mat2*mat3 ;

i have this, can't seem to get it working, i have a plane on z=10, but it scales as well, only x and y should scale ,because (0,0, 10) is the the origin

The principle is correct. The comment "translate to origin" should be "translate origin to 0", but obviously that doesn't influence the result very much ;)

The order of your matrix product is mat1*mat2*mat3 and hence hints at using row vectors. Do you use row vectors? If not, you have to use the reverse order mat3*mat2*mat1.

If [0,0,10] is the origin as is stored in m_position, then mat1 is set-up as translation by [0,0,-10]. Hence, any point [x,y,10] located at z=10 gets translated to [x,y,0] when being multiplied by mat1. Multiplying that z==0 by any number (due to the scaling) doesn't change it: 0*sz==0. Then the sub-sequent multiplication by mat3 translates the point back by [0,0,10] to [x*sx,y*sy,10]. q.e.d.

Quote:
Original post by crowley9
Matrix multiply the scaling matrix M by translation matrix T and -T. I.e. OffsetedScale = T.M.(-T) where T translates the origin to the center...

Here not the negative -T but the inverse T-1 is to be used. I know you presumbly meant the inverse
[ 1 0 0 -tx ]
[ 0 1 0 -ty ]
[ 0 0 1 -tz ]
[ 0 0 0 1 ]
but negating a matrix has itself a meaning which is different:
[ -1  0  0 -tx ]
[ 0 -1 0 -ty ]
[ 0 0 -1 -tz ]
[ 0 0 0 -1 ]
So I wanted to make this point clear.

it is working now, i've reversed the order mat3*mat2*mat1, and cleared the CACHE, this i morning i started with above order, but it gave me the same results nonetheless, after a full rebuild, it is working okay now, as well is translation and rotation. thanks guys

Paul