• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Sebastien_

size of a pixel

This topic is 3539 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all, I have one strange question about size of a pixel use in shader to cacl offset of filter, or half pixel offset (D3D). At firts I was thinking like everybody that size of a pixel was: float2 invScreenDim(1 / RenderTargetSizeX, 1 / RenderTargetSizeY) Then I can use this value in my shader for case like the following: (from http://diaryofagraphicsprogrammer.blogspot.com/2008/09/calculating-screen-space-texture.html) Float4 vPos = float4(0.5 * (float2(p.x + p.w, p.w – p.y) + p.w * invScreenDim.xy), pos.zw) Here "p.w * invScreenDim.xy * 0.5" allow to apply the half pixel offset. However, when looking at some 3D Engine, I found few which define size of a pixel as (2 / RenderTargetSizeX, 2 / RenderTargetSizeY). For sample in Nebula3 engine (http://flohofwoe.blogspot.com/): frameposteffect.cc (...) // compute a half pixel offset SizeT w = this->renderTarget->GetWidth(); SizeT h = this->renderTarget->GetHeight(); Math::float4 pixelSize(2.0f / float(w), 2.0f / float(h), 0.0f, 0.0f); Math::float4 halfPixelSize = pixelSize * 0.5f; (...) and in a shader: float3 sampleOffsetWeights[13] = { { -1.5, 0.5, 0.024882 }, { -0.5, -0.5, 0.067638 }, (...) float4 psMain(const vsInOut psIn) : COLOR { float4 sample = float4(0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0); int i; for (i = 0; i < 13; i++) { sample += sampleOffsetWeights.z * tex2D(SourceBufferSampler, psIn.uv0 + sampleOffsetWeights.xy * pixelSize.xy); } return sample; } So, is someone can explain me why a pixel is (2 / RenderTargetSize), or in which case it must be 2 ? Cause Nebula3 is not the only case where I see this. Thanks for any explanation. Seb

Advertisement
Screen coordinates range from -1 to 1, not 0 to 1, meaning the width of the screen in device-independent units is 2, not 1.

After some though, I still be disagree with something.

For the following code:
Float4 vPos = float4(0.5 * (float2(p.x + p.w, p.w – p.y) + p.w * invScreenDim.xy), pos.zw)

I am OK to set pixel size as 2 / RenderTarget.
In fact we are in screen coordinate [-1..1] transform to [0..w] then we divide by W in pixel shader to get [0..1] which allow to get texture coordinate.
So the value of invScreenDim.xy on W. Engel blog are wrong and on Gamedev thread too (http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=506573) ?

but for the nebula3 case, where we just sample in a texture without conversion between screen coordinate and texture coordinate (which have same size as a screen) which is [0..1], I still don't understand. If we have a texture of 1280x720, then 1280 x 2 / RenderTargetSizeX => 2

I think I miss something.
Any help.

Thanks

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!