Sign in to follow this  
ajm113

Core Engine Updates With Out Giving The Exe?

Ok, since my game isn't modable outside of the exe for the exception of models, textures and maybe a few script file and I found a way to fix a crash but it can only be edited from source code and recompiled, for example: I found a faster and better way to load a 3ds model for my game in C++ and I wanted to implement that in my already released game, whats the best way to create outside and none editable content that I can use to change the core of the exe? Do I need to create my own DLL for something like that or something else in mind? Thanks, Andrew. VS2008 - C++ project.

There are free and commercial patch creation software packages available that work in a way similiar to installer creation software. The patch just needs to alter the parts of the file that changed. Even with an executable file, usually only small parts of the file need to be changed.

I wouldn't worry about pirates getting hold of your game by releasing the exe in a patch. Pirates are quite happy to buy the games they crack. By the speed my game was up for download, I'm quite sure it was one of the first two people who bought it :)

The only precaution I took was to check the old exe file size in the installer, but that was more to ensure they weren't patching the wrong versions.

Quote:
Original post by hh10k
The only precaution I took was to check the old exe file size in the installer, but that was more to ensure they weren't patching the wrong versions.

Right. Check the md5sum if you want to get fancy. Serious pirates will of course not be deterred by such methods, though.