Sign in to follow this  
Hispanic91

Any Good Racing Game Engines?

Hello all, I am in the process of making a game for a school project with a team. This game is going to be a racing game. We are allowed to use a pre existing game engine. Does anyone know of a good game engine that can be used to make a racing game. By the way: Programming Expierence (Very Limited) C/C++ (Very Limited) PHP (I dont see how that would help though) (Farily Proficient) HTML (I dont see how that would help though) Thanks in advance- Hispanic91 [Edited by - Ravuya on October 13, 2008 6:36:57 PM]

If you are not adverse into using other lanaguages, I would recommend checking out the XNA Racing Game Starter Kit. It is written in C# and uses the XNA Framework. The starter kit is free and can be ran on both the PC (Free) and XBox 360 (If you purchase a Creators Club Membership). The starter kit is not necassarily a game engine, but is a good example of how to create a racing game. You should be able to easily modify it as well.

Ive heard about the XNA Framework, but was unaware that it could be used to make games for the PC too. If I were to make a game using the XNA Framework, would I be able to run it off of a DVD.

Also, would the computer that I ran my game on be able to play it without any special interpreters or frameworks being installed, or do I need to install the XNA Framework on every computer that would be running this game?

Thanks
- Hispanic91

Quote:
Original post by Hispanic91
would I be able to run it off of a DVD.

Should not be a problem running it off a DVD on a Windows Machine.

Quote:
do I need to install the XNA Framework on every computer that would be running this game?

You will need the .NET Framework (2.0) and the XNA Framework installed on every machine you intend to run the game. If this requirment is not acceptable for your project, it would still be worth checking out the example for some ideas.

Quote:
or do I need to install the XNA Framework on every computer that would be running this game?

This really isn't a problem, since your game installer would just install it, and it's not much different than games requiring DirectX to be installed to run.

Quote:
Original post by RDragon1
Quote:
or do I need to install the XNA Framework on every computer that would be running this game?

This really isn't a problem, since your game installer would just install it, and it's not much different than games requiring DirectX to be installed to run.

Thank you Billr17 and RDragon1 for your replies. I think the requirement to install XNA on every machine would be a problem though because it needs to be run off of the DVD without the need for installation. So I guess I will have to just use XNA as a springboard for ideas an examples.

This brings me back to my original question, If I wanted to make a racing game what would be the best way to go about doing so, (Game Engine, Framework, Existing Libraries, Etc.)

Thanks- Hispanic91

How much time are you given? Do you have any programming experience?

It sounds like you don't know much about making games. While there are a few programs out there that allow people to make platformers, RPG, or even FPS without any programming experience, when it comes to a niche genre like racing, I don't think theres anything like that.

Basically, I am trying to say that in order to make a racing game, you are probably going to have to use tools/libraries that will help you make any game, and spend time using those tools/libraries to make a racing game.

I haven't seen a anything that could be decribed as a "Racing Game Engine" ever.

Most game libraries out there try to be purpose-agnostic so they can be used for everything.

The due date is somewhere in April (April 15 I believe). Also, you are correct when you say that I have no experience when it comes to making games. I suppose I thought that "Racing Game Engines" existed because ive seen engines to make FPS and RPG as you said so I thought that there would be some for racing games.

As far as my programming expierence goes I am fairly proficient
in HTML although I dont see how this would help and I have a very very very fundamental understanding of PHP and C++. So i suppose of these the only one that would be of use to me would be C++ because I dont see how a game could be made with HTML or PHP.

Since there are not any racing game engines in existence how would I go about doing this. I understand that these forums get several posts like these a day but and for that I am sorry but there are so many articles and so many tutorials in existence that it can be exausting trying to figure out where to start and what things to use and how to use them and how to do this and that.

For a beginner, what would be a good way of going about this. I dont say best way because I know that it can vary depending on the person. But a good way of going about to meet my goal of having a decent racing game by april.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in Advance- Hispanic91

If you have not much knowledge about game development 6 months is very little. How about your team? Is there somebody with some programming experience?

I would recommend you to first learn more about your programming language. Look at some tutorials or books on C++. Or maybe a higher level language like C# or anything.

I suppose you want to create a 2D game, so a library like SFML should be enough to write a simple 2D race game.

I don't know of any race game engine.
You can use Ogre3D or Irrlicht to help with the 3D graphics and a physics engine to simulate the car. You still have to make almost everything by yourself.
I don't know these libraries in detail, there are sure some other guys here that know more game engines than me.
Quote:
Also, while it sounds crazy we plan to make a 3D game.
I don't know what you are capable of doing, but sorry: a decent 3D game needs more time and knowledge. In any case, good luck.

Actually, there are racing game engines out there. Here are a couple of examples:

VDrift
TORCS

There is another one which seems to be know as both OpenRacer and RaceRacer (though I may be confused about this). www.openracer.org seems to have expired, but this (possibly old) site works:

http://worldforge.org/wf/dev/systems/OpenRacer/index_html

But, as other people have mentioned, you are likely to need to be a competent programmer to make any use of these.

Thanks everyone for your replies so far.

I guess since there are no "Racing Game Engines" as far as I want them to be. What is a good overall game engine that while it doesnt have to be made for racing games would still make a decent 3D Racing Game.

-Hispanic91

Quote:
What is a good overall game engine that while it doesnt have to be made for racing games would still make a decent 3D Racing Game.

There are alot of free frameworks out there.

Panda 3D
Ogre
Horde 3D

to name a few. However, no matter the framework you pick, its going to be alot of work. Your going to be on your own to implement player control, vehical physics, game logic, collision detection, AI and anything else you might need.

Some words of caution. Since this is a graded school project, be careful not to place your goals too high. Otherwise you might end up shooting your own foot. Because this is your first game, perhaps you would be better to start with a (top down) 2D racing game. The concepts you pick up from this project could then be applied to a v2.0 game (that is fully 3D) in the future. Just my two cents, take it, or leave it.

Quote:
decision to either panda or ogre.

You have to base it on the requirements for your project. Either framework would more then suit you needs for a 3D game.

Panda3D is a bit easier to get up and running quickly. For the most part, you will be scripting the game logic with Python. You wont need anything more then the Panda3D SDK and notepad to build most of your game logic. If you look at the documentation, you can see how easy it is to start constructing an interactive 3D environment quickly.

Ogre requires alot more grunt work. You will need a firm understanding of C++ and object oriented programming. One advantage to Ogre is that it has been around for a much longer time. Because of this, you will find alot more resources online for it.

If your set on doing a 3D game, I think Panda3D would better fit your current skill set. If your doing a 2D game, there are better frameworks that are geared towards 2D graphics that you can use.

Quote:
What frameworks would you reccomend for 2D games. After extensive googling, I havent found anything that I would consider of value.

What is your valuing system? What did you look at, rejected, and why?

Also, I'm a little confused. In one more recent post you ask for a good 2D library, yet in another you say you'll be making a 3D game. So, which is it?

Lastly, there are different subgenres within racing: arcade-ish 2D scroller to full realistic/simulation 3D sim. Which one are you heading towards?

Quote:
Original post by Red Ghost
Hi,
regarding 2D games, did you look at Haaf's Game Engine (hge.relishgames.com) ?
Ghostly yours,
Red.

I second the recommendation for HGE. It's about as simple as it gets, and the webpage has a good amount of documentation. Also more tutorials can be found online via Google. Even a link to the GameDev's Wiki popped up for an HGE tutorial :)

If HGE seems a bit too advanced for you at this current time, you might consider picking up a decent C++ book at a bookstore near you and reading ahead of the class. If this is your first C++ class do not expect to understand the HGE code right away, you'll have to mess with it. While learning you will probably get stuck and get a bit frustrated. Though just stick with it and of course you can ask for help on the forums. Of course, don't expect people to write any of the project for you, only to give you pointers on what you might be doing wrong ;)

Though my question to you now is what have you all been using so far for graphics in the class, or has everything been all text based thus far? That then leads to my second question, does the teacher expect for the game to be graphical? Lastly what are the teacher's other criteria/requirements?

The reason I ask is that you might not have the time and experience yet to make the game that you invision, especially if this is a first level class. Depending on the class difficulty level, you might get away with a simpler project such as moving an object through a maze using the keyboard. Even that will turn out to be harder than you would think for beginners. Everything you learn from that you then can use as experience to build the racing game later in your own time. :)

The reason why I am asking for a 2D framework is because I have decided that the forum community was right and I should aim for something more simple.

The game also must be graphical and as far as my valuing system goes, I would like something that needs C/C++ and it should be simple. I don't need anything overkill.

The game is also going to be an "arcade-ish 2D scroller"