Sign in to follow this  
coldness

(CLOSED)Image Animation

Hello, everyone! I was wondering if there was a way to animate images using DirectX and not GDI. I know that I could load the animation as separate images as frames. But I find rather tiresome and inefficient! I would like to load .GIF files instead! I think those are alot faster and easier to manage. But I'm having a hard time finding articles about it. The reason for this is, that I'm learning to program games (I have learned some basic 2D DirectX concepts, like surfaces and textures) and I'm making a simple paddle game (actually, most of the game code I've taken from a book I'm reading but it's incomplete). I don't want to load separate images everytime I want to show some animation or effect! I also know that I could group all of the animation frames into one big pictures in grids. This way is more efficient than the first one, but gifs would be alot better! Thx! [Edited by - coldness on October 13, 2008 10:04:07 AM]

GIFS basically hold the same idea, you are still loading up "frames". Second of all if I am not mistaken, .gif has a color limit.

So considering that I heard you complaining about not having to want to load images at runtime when you need them, why not load them before the game has begun ?

Good luck :)