• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
skotinator

Ruby / OpenGL sidescrolling renderer

This topic is 3630 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys, I've spent a lot of time lurking on here, picking up random bits of knowledge now and again. I've recently made a little 2D rendering framework in OpenGL and Ruby 1.8. It isn't the fastest thing ever, but it was significantly more enjoyable to write than C++ (work, gah!). It's not in any way complete...and it is a pain to get the deps going on all but windows (ive posted up a complete running directory for windows with ruby interpreter & gems & all), but it is quite straightforward and does a few nifty things - shaders, and shadows and physics (via chipmunk) to name a few. In summary, it is in no way complete or fast, but it should be pretty easy to understand and could be a good reference for anyone else interested in writing something similar in ruby :) The 2 'demo' scenes ive put in there are pretty lame (i have no concept of art), but I think you can get the gist of it! Code here, along with a zip that should run straight up on windows (without battling gem deps). Hope this is useful to someone :) If you have any questions, don't hesitate to email scott <at> scott gerring dot com

Advertisement
That looks pretty nice. I'm excited to see somebody here doing something in Ruby. [smile]

Thanks for sharing.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!