Sign in to follow this  
Modena360

Smartest way to play a sound

For a few years now I've been using the same code to play a sound. With a new project just around the corner I was wondering what people typically do to play a simple sound effect? I've been using a thirty party class that interfaces with the Microsoft DSUtil.cpp code. Using a CSoundManager object and creating individual CSound objects for each sound effect I read in from disk. My code works, but I am curious as to whether there is a more ideal solution that people would recommend? I'm not overly keen on using SDL or another thirty party game library just to play sound. However if the benefits are worth it then it's something I would probably do. I'm just keen on hearing what everyone else does before I build a project around a dated sound system. Thanks in advance for any tips. Modena

XAudio2 is the new kid on the block and whilst not a total replacement for DirectSound it does do a good job of updating it. It's probably a good thing to consider if you're interested in supporting the Windows Vista and Windows 7 OS's given that Microsoft rewrote the entire audio stack with Vista...

hth
Jack