Sign in to follow this  
zedz

Sound positioning

Has their been any research done on wheres the best place to relate the sound to? WRT a 3rd person situation A/ relative to the camera B/ relative to the player onscreen at the moment Im basing positional sounds off relative to where the camera is, but Im thinking perhaps its more immersive if instead I use the person, but I have no idea? have there been tests done, anyone? cheers zed

My preference would be camera, often i assume that rotation of the camera can help with pinpointing souds. From a third person perspective.

However in the past i have noticed, to the detriment of immersion and quality, that voice positioning for characters relative to camera can be annoying in that some voices are masked by noise at extremes of the cameras range. Footsteps and sounds youd expect to come from the player object should come from there, and voices should also be ego-centric.

>> I think the player expects sound effects to be positioned relative to the camera. If a sound triggered between the camera and the player, I think you'd expect to hear it in front of you, not behind you. <<

you could argue the opposite equally well

cheers guys, ok so no consensus, I've stuck both in the options + let the user decide.
though with the sounds based from the person, u need to have the volume of say the closest 10meters around the person being the equal value before having the sound dropoff, or else the players gun etc will drown out all other sounds