• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
philderbeast

2d overlays... - graphics engine.

This topic is 3662 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

ok still working on my project here and I have got suck with how to implement the next feature on my list of goals. I'm currently working on the chat portion of my morpg (no m for massive yet :P) now I have the client and server talking to each other successfully so now im trying to build some sort of interface for the client to use to send and receive messages. I have planned to use openGL for the graphics (partly because I want the game to be portable if possible to Linux systems. (the server already runs on both windows and freeBSD :)) so I was wondering what the best way to go about adding this to my program, I was thinking about some sort of overlay where I can place the 2d sections of the interface (like a chat box) over the 3d environment. so now you know where im at and what I'm after, my questions are as follows is this the right way to implement this feature? if so where are some good resources to learn how to do this? if not how should i go about it and where can i learn about that? thanks in advance. edit: ok been looking in to it some more. (figure it never hurts) and it seems I'm on the right track, however i might be better off going with a graphics engine that will do some of the work for me like Ogre any suggestions for this? [Edited by - philderbeast on October 13, 2008 9:52:52 PM]

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!