Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package

Started by
8 comments, last by Aardvajk 15 years, 6 months ago
Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86) 11/29/2007 Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) 9/16/2008 Visual C++ 2008 Feature Pack Redistributable Package (x86) 4/22/2008 Which version should I download for the computer without installing VC++ 2008?
akira32 編程之家 Yahoohttp://tw.myblog.yahoo.com/akira32-akira32
Advertisement
Quote:Which version should I download for the computer without installing VC++ 2008?
Um, for what purpose?
Quote:Original post by oler1sUm, for what purpose?

I write a program with VC++ 2008 and I want to run the program in the computer without VC++ 2008. But I do not know the differences of th three version of VC++ 2008 Redistributable Package. Now I had got the answer: just install "Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)".
akira32 編程之家 Yahoohttp://tw.myblog.yahoo.com/akira32-akira32
If you don't have Visual Studio 2008 .NET installed, you will need to click here.

The Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86) installs runtime components of Visual C++ Libraries required to run applications developed with Visual C++ on a computer that does not have Visual C++ 2008 installed.

That last except was pulled from the link I provided.
Hope it helps anyone in the future, it worked wonders for me.

** snip from an old thread of mine, that I discovered through trial and error. **
[size="2"][size="1"][size="2"]- Quinn
[size="2"][size="1"][size="2"]Software Developer, Mintrus
Quote:Original post by akira32
Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86) 11/29/2007
Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) 9/16/2008
Visual C++ 2008 Feature Pack Redistributable Package (x86) 4/22/2008
Which version should I download for the computer without installing VC++ 2008?

You need to install "Visual C++ 2008 Redist.." if you are building project with VS2008 without SP1 installed.
You need to install "Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redist.." if you are building project with VS2008 that has SP1 installed.
And "Visual C++ 2008 Feature Pack Redist..." is needed only if you are using something from Feature Pack (which must be installed additionally to VS2008).
Also, just in case you don't know, you can't use a Debug build of your app with the redistributables. Make sure you build a Release version for use outside your development environment

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

I have a question in line with the topic, is there a way to build a program in Visual C++ that doesn't need the redist package to be installed?
Yes, there is.
Open project properties and go to C/C++ -> Code Generation. And there change "Runtime Library" to something that has no "DLL" it is name. For Release build - "Multi-threaded", for Debug build - "Multi-threaded Debug". Program now will not need C/C++ runtime DLL files.
Many thanks.
But it is worth being aware that the reason that VS defaults to the DLL runtime is not to make life more difficult - it is to encourage us to write programs that will benefit from future updates to the runtime.

If MS discover a security flaw, say, in the current VS runtime, they can release an update that detects the presence of the installed runtime and patches it. Any exes that use the (properly installed) DLL version of the runtime benefit.

I'm not saying don't statically link - to be honest I tend to for simplicity. It's just worth being aware of why MS are prodding us toward using the DLL version.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement