Sign in to follow this  
Domn

Choosing a Compiler

Hi everyone, i am new to programming in general and i know how to figure out variables and know how to make text programs like "Hello World". I am curently working with Microsoft Visual C++ Express. I was wondering if their were any other free C++ compilers as good as what i am using. Also I don't have any C++ books and i was wondering what tutorial would help me learn the basics of C++. Thanks for any help.

Quote:
Original post by Domn
I was wondering if their were any other free C++ compilers as good as what i am using.

Nope!

Quote:
Original post by Domn
Also I don't have any C++ books and i was wondering what tutorial would help me learn the basics of C++. Thanks for any help.

Google!
A sample result!

[smile]

By compiler, do you mean IDE(integrated development environment) or actual compiler(stand-alone program which only converts code to binary) ? I will assume IDE for now.

My opinion is not "professional"... but that may be why it could be useful! That sounded dumb, but let me explain.

I have tried learning C++, and for a while, I tried finding compilers that would be useful, easy to understand, and free, not to mention good. It's not all that hard to find a compiler, really!

Along the way, I used compilers like DevC++, Code::Blocks, and Visual C++ by Microsoft like you are using now.

I liked Visual C++, but in all honesty, for learning, it was not all my favourite. Some times you just want a program that can compile the necessary stuff without un-necessary junk. So I chose DevC++ to try that. DevC++ is relatively small, takes add-ons for about anything you want, and can execute 1 page of code independently, where as when I used VC++ I tried hard to find out how to make a program while not actually making it a project.

DevC++ was over-all pretty flexible. But it had some flaws, too. Support at the time was a bit low since I used it as it just began to develop. Now to this date it may be better-- I could not say.

I then tried Code::Blocks, which was also quite new at the time. It had a similar structure to DevC++, but a few fun features which I enjoyed a bit more.

I eventually moved to notepad(since I customised the way notepad receives text) and just compiled using the free compilers like G++ or GCC. That was after I got tired of the shift of IDE. It all depends on how you feel for IDE. So take your time in screening them and test a few out. There are a lot of free choices. :)

Edit: The above replies are much more insightful than mine.. regarding Visual C++ that is. It is the top of the line for being free. It is all up to you outside of that, if you really do not want to use it.

One more question if anyone could answer. I am trying to learn how to design games and i was wondering what is a good but free graphic engine(I think that's what it is called.) to make programs 3 dimensions?

Quote:
Original post by Domn
I was wondering if their were any other free C++ compilers as good as what i am using.

yes GCC But don't use Dev-Cpp.

Quote:
Original post by Domn
One more question if anyone could answer. I am trying to learn how to design games and i was wondering what is a good but free graphic engine(I think that's what it is called.) to make programs 3 dimensions?

yes Ogre3D

Quote:
Original post by zih_jyuan
DevC++ was over-all pretty flexible. But it had some flaws, too. Support at the time was a bit low since I used it as it just began to develop. Now to this date it may be better-- I could not say.
Now it hasn't been updated for years and is pretty much completely unsupported. Do not use Dev-C++.

Yeah, that is mainly why I stopped using it. I apologise for making the reference, but back then it wasn't THAT bad of an idea. since support is dead, I would never recommend to use it. I should also check the credibility of Code:Blocks then, too, shouldn't I. :)