[SlimDX] Direct3DX9NotFoundException is thrown

Started by
18 comments, last by Promit 15 years, 5 months ago
If you remember, I already asked my customer to use the redist package and that didn't help. The redist package notified that no update is needed...
I don't believe the issue here is the web setup, as it is working just fine for 95% of the clients.
Anyway, our installation is about 10MB. Adding the redist package will add 60MB (as much as I remember) to the installation, situation we can't allow...

I hope to get a response from the user that had the problem. I asked him to validate the existence of the dependency dlls (using the "Dependency Walker" utility). As soon as I get a response, I will post it here.

I forgot to mention something. A few months ago, I had a customer with the same problem. I asked him to install DirectX using web setup and even using the redist package. Then I asked him to export a summary from the dxdiag utility. When I compared his files and mine, I noticed that some of his files were OLDER than on my computer. Meaning the DirectX installer didn't update some of the files. Is there a reasonable explanation for this?
Advertisement
From the sound of things, it seems like a fluke in the DirectX installer. Have you tried looking for things in common between the machines that aren't updating correctly? This might be something you need to end up taking to Microsoft.
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX
Hey Mike,

I asked some of them to send a summary from the dxdiag utility. I couldn't find anything special about their configuration, except the differences in the file versions that I already mentioned.

My first thought was that it is a bug in the installer of DX, but I was hoping that it is something else, since getting Microsoft to fix it can be quite hard...
Update:

The problem is finally solved.

However, we are not sure what managed to solve it.
We asked the user to install the June 2008 Redistributable Package of DirectX, but before he did that he installed some computer game (which probably installed the redist package) and Visions then worked perfectly.

I don't know why exactly Microsoft differentiates the web and redist packages, but we simply can't supply a 74MB package with a 10MB product. So we'll have to supply a link to the redist package as a solution.

Anyway, thank you all for the great support.

Maor
I've got the exact same error, and the dependency walker shows I'm missing D3DX9_39.DLL. That's fixable. However, I installed SlimDX using the installed from googlecode page, and I thought that would include all dependencies. If I want to distribute anything, what do I need to include? My app, SlimDX installer + ?
Basically, to run a SlimDX application right now you need
1) The SlimDX DLL, which can either be copied into the same directory or installed into the GAC.
2) The VC runtimes (this dependency will probably be going away in the next release)
3) The latest DirectX runtime (the SlimDX September release needs the August runtime).
Removing VC++ as a requirement is great news.
Is there any schedule for the next release of SlimDX?
November is the likely candidate for the next release. We release around a week or two after the DirectX team does, so whenever you see an update from them you'll know that the SlimDX will be coming out shortly.
In my somewhat old version of the SDK the redist license (in the \Documentation\License Agreements folder) says that the redist only needs to contain a handful of the files that are in the full redist. Specifically: DSetup32.dll, DSetup.dll, DXSetup.exe, DXupdate.cab and dxdllreg_x86.cab. That's under 3MB in total. Obviously you'll want to add in the appropriate cab for D3D (~13MB) and the D3DX version that you require (~2MB).

See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb174600(VS.85).aspx for details.
Quote:Original post by Adam_42
In my somewhat old version of the SDK the redist license (in the \Documentation\License Agreements folder) says that the redist only needs to contain a handful of the files that are in the full redist. Specifically: DSetup32.dll, DSetup.dll, DXSetup.exe, DXupdate.cab and dxdllreg_x86.cab. That's under 3MB in total. Obviously you'll want to add in the appropriate cab for D3D (~13MB) and the D3DX version that you require (~2MB).
This is what we do for the SlimDX installer, as well as RAR compressing the whole thing. It ends up being around 5 MB of the installer, I think. Maybe 6.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement