Need Help!!!

Started by
4 comments, last by Tom Sloper 15 years, 6 months ago
Hi all i am a graduate student in china,and i want learn more about game design,because i love that,but i can't find much academic article on the game design,only i have find is http://digiplay.info/ i would like know more web where i can find the ACADEMIC paper about game design would you like to help me? thanks very much!
Advertisement
I suspect the reason you haven't found much is that you don' really know what you're looking for; I know I don't.

I'm going to send you to Tom Sloper's site for general info and Gamasutra for articles, in the hope that one of them is what you're looking for.
Thanks a lot Sandman

i mean the paper about theory of game design or even thesis focus on the game develop.i had find some paper(maybe 4 or 5) but that is not enough for me,i would like read more.
Some books to check out -

A Theory of Fun by Raph Koster, an excellent book with insight into games in general with a very extensive set of "Notes" that will lead you to tons and tons of academic studies and reports. (An incredibly fun read as well.)

Rules of Play by Katie Salen and Eric Zimmerman, a comprehensive scholarly approach to games and design, is published by MIT Press.

Game Design Complete by Patrick O'Luanaigh, a good overview of practical game design as it relates to making videogames. The book has lots of short interviews with various experts in their respective fields.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Thanks for the books zer0wolf!

i would love to read that

but...i don't think you really understood what i want...

depressed...

maybe i can only find that kind of paper in IEEE paper database?

i mean the kind of paper like doctoral dissertation or master's thesis which focus on game design...
No, James.
You're not going to find it in an IEEE dissertation.
Read those books the other guy listed. And read the ones at http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson8.htm, if you want to learn about game design.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement