Getting into game development?

Started by
7 comments, last by endrien 15 years, 6 months ago
Well I don't have that much experience with programming in the past in-fact I have very little,But I would like to get into the world of game development.I'll try to learn whatever programming language the engine uses and I'll improve on my modeling.Now it comes down to what engine.I would like it to be free and 3d and not too hard to learn,I'd like it to have a good community where I can get support easily and have a good tutorial base.I was considering the Ogre engine(Though I realise it has to be used with other things to actually be a game engine so I'm also looking at Panda)and I would like to make any kind of game.Finally I would need a modeling program that I would also like to be free and no too hard to use.So can you please suggest what engine to use and if you know of one,a good free modeler.If you post an engine/modeler Please post some tutorials that go along with it. Thanks so much ~Endrien
Advertisement
hi there,

i can recommend you the Irrlicht enginge . although it is NOT a game engine, but for 3D graphics, it is very well structured and there is an excellent and organized documentation for its API. It is written in c++ so you will have to learn this programming language in order to use it properly :) but no worries, there are plenty tutorials for the engine and i am sure if you are serious about getting into the game industry you will overwhelm all the obstacles in your way.
as for a programs for your models, i would recommend you to use free models that could be found on Inet and concentrate on learning c++.

best,
y.

ps: tutorials for Irrlicht could be found on its website and wiki. Also google-ing for tutorials is a good option.
you're running in too quickly. If you're plannning on using an engine you need a reasonable amount of background in programming.

Ogre is a good engine, but without a good background in C++ you won't get very far. Hate to burst your bubble but I think that you should hit the textbooks first and make sure you know how to use the language. It'll save you a lot of agro in the long run!
Quote:Original post by DpakoH
hi there,

i can recommend you the Irrlicht enginge . although it is NOT a game engine, but for 3D graphics, it is very well structured and there is an excellent and organized documentation for its API. It is written in c++ so you will have to learn this programming language in order to use it properly :) but no worries, there are plenty tutorials for the engine and i am sure if you are serious about getting into the game industry you will overwhelm all the obstacles in your way.
as for a programs for your models, i would recommend you to use free models that could be found on Inet and concentrate on learning c++.

best,
y.

ps: tutorials for Irrlicht could be found on its website and wiki. Also google-ing for tutorials is a good option.

Thanks for the reply,I check it out.To the user below I have made games before aswell I used to know some visual basic.I've also been known to pick up on things quickly.
Like those before me, I recommend that you get more familiar with a programming language. I would get a copy of Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition (free). Its a good compiler. It may be microsoft, but visual studio is one product I think they do pretty well. You can find it here:

Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition

Also, here is a decent tutorial, I think:

C++ Tutorial
scottrick49
Quote:Original post by endrien
Well I don't have that much experience with programming in the past

Well then, before you learn to run, it may pay to learn to walk. :)

Pick a (practical) language. Personally, I would recommend C++, because it is the most common language in the the game development space but it's a tough one, or Python, since it is an approachable, higher-level language that is gaining a lot of general and gaming traction. Other viable options, IMO, is C# or Java, in that order.

Then, see http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=510799&whichpage=1 for a "recipe" to get going and other subsequent comments. My post is fourth or so from the OP.

I'll look up some C++ tutorials and get learning :).How long do you think it will take to be able to know enough to atleast start a game project?
Thanks
~Endrien
I really don't recommend C++ as a first language. A lot of people started with it themselves so they assume it must be the best thing to start with. A lot of other people assume that because it is the de facto language for professional console development that it must be the best language to start with. That is hogwash.

C# and Python are far more approachable languages and will allow the OP to get up and running faster, making him more productive. Quicker satisfaction == increased motivation to keep learning!

Python:
Python itself - Python 2.6. Note that with the latest version of Python you'll have to put the .dll into the System32 folder yourself.
Excellent free book - Think Python: An Introduction to Software Design by Allen B. Downey.
Excellent free IDE - PyScripter. After installing it the IDE will update itself for full Python 2.6 and 3.0 support.

After getting up and running you can checkout PyGame and Pyglet to help you out with game development.

C#:
Excellent free IDE + Compiler - Visual C# 2008 Express Edition with SP1

After getting up and running you can checkout XNA to help you get up and running with game development. If you join Microsoft's Game Creator Club you'll even be able to put your games onto your Xbox 360!
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Hmm I've heard that python is fairly easy so I might try to learn that.Thanks alot guys,you're very helpful and active.
~Endrien
Edit:Though I don't see much on those python engines so I might lean towards C#
Edit2:from what i've read/seen python is slower to write games in and is harder for 3d than C#.

Also should I learn to program well with C# before going headfirst into XNA?

[Edited by - endrien on October 14, 2008 3:06:03 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement