Hi Looking for help

Started by
17 comments, last by TheTroll 15 years, 5 months ago
Hi my name is robin i am a game player but not a programmer i am pretty good at concept stuff though recently i have been dreaming up several game ideas and have no idea where to go to find anyone interested in possibly developing them with me my boyfriend is a data base programmer and we talk about them all the time i know this website and forum are probably the wrong place for me to ask this and i apologize for invading your home but if anyone can point me in the right direction or if they are interested or have been looking for some ideas to develop please contact me we have even thought about investing in the wii development tool that they are coming out with (may be out now) for one of my ideas is suited to the wii one is an mmorpg that would take a few years to develop and one is for another online game that could be developed within a year but is unlike anything i have ever seen before there would definitely have to be a build up of from easiest to hardest to establish a cash flow but i think all of these ideas are workable and would be sucessful this is just a shot in the dark so please give me a holler if you are interested at all or have some ideas on how to get ideas out to a market without getting ripped off there is no copyright protection for software ideas i have discovered please email me at catalyzt64@hotmail.com and in subject put reply to game design post so i can find it in my junk box easy thanks! i appreciate any help or any points in the right direction also does anyone know how to find any of the original developers for startopia?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by catalyzt
Hi

Hi!
Quote:i am a game player but not a programmer
i am pretty good at concept stuff though

Do you mean game concepts (as in game design) or concept art?
Quote:recently i have been dreaming up several game ideas and have no idea where to go to find anyone interested in possibly developing them with me
my boyfriend is a data base programmer and we talk about them all the time

If your boyfriend is already programmer, wouldn't he be able to help you out? There's nothing wrong with assembling a team here, but since you sound fairly inexperienced it might be a good idea to start making some small games with him first.
Quote:i know this website and forum are probably the wrong place for me to ask this and i apologize for invading your home

It's fine. Unless your a evil robotic zombie pirate..
Quote:but if anyone can point me in the right direction or if they are interested or have been looking for some ideas to develop please contact me

The Help Wanted forum is the appropriate place to come in contact with other people interested in developing games. Please read the sticky before posting there.
Quote:we have even thought about investing in the wii development tool that they are coming out with (may be out now) for one of my ideas is suited to the wii

I'm not sure which 'tool' you are referring to. If you're talking about the official SDK, I'm afraid that's out of your league. It's probably better to start out with some simple games on a platform you're familiar with, like the PC.
Quote:one is an mmorpg that would take a few years to develop and one is for another online game that could be developed within a year but is unlike anything i have ever seen before

MMORPGs are typically insanely large projects not suited for beginners. Try something small first.
Quote:there would definitely have to be a build up of from easiest to hardest to establish a cash flow but i think all of these ideas are workable and would be sucessful

This is a very bad idea if you want to make money. Even if you had the resources, skills and the experience, writing a business plan will quickly show all the difficulties with it.

I realize it all sounds very negative, and by no means I would want to discourage you, but the reality can be that way. The good news is that nothing stands in your way to begin making games, as long as you're willing to put in the time and effort and start with something less ambitious.
hi i appreciate all the responses
firstly i have game ideas and concepts for game play and story lines but not art
though i have images in my head i do not have any skill
i could never program any of these myself
my boyfriend does program but he isnt very motivated on his own so i am looking for some people that want to get involved in this
he is one of those people that can learn any kind of programming language thought and i have confidence in his ability to learn to use anything

we would need to look into the wii tool more to decide if it was an investment but if we had someone who could use it that wanted to get involved we have been thinking of investing in it - the one he read about was under 1500 dollars which isnt out of our league financially

as far as the bad business plan - what is wrong with developing the easier stuff and getting it sold to make money to invest in future projects
that doesn't seem farfetched to me at all

and thanks for the tip on the help wanted section
i am in the investigating stage of all this but i really would love to see something happen as i think about these ideas all the time

i will read again to see if i missed any questions
evil zombie pirate...

lol

yarrrr brains!!
About the business plan, the chance that your first few games are going to be anything that anybody would ever want to give you money for is really low. Not trying to be discouraging, but the games you see in stores are made by many experienced people who are working full time on these projects for a year or more.

My advice would be to pick the simplest game idea you have and work towards that. Very simple for your first one. :P Once you have completed at least one game then you will have a much better understanding about what it takes to make a larger game.

Don't hesitate to post in these forums! Myself and many others here enjoy helping (or at least trying to help in some cases haha) other people with their projects.
scottrick49
thanks scott
i understand and am not trying to be overly optimistic
i have been playing games for about 15 years give or take a year or two
and have thought a lot about what would make a good game
i am also very interested in trying things that i havent seen done before
my boyfriend is a gamer by night and a database programmer by day
he thinks some of my ideas and concepts are very innovative and fresh and could be interesting
one of my game ideas would be pretty easy to develop i think and has very good marketing strategy based on what i have witnessed in my online gaming experience
i percieve right now that the gaming market has suddenly developed a huge user base
larger then ever before and instead of leet picky hard core gamers there are a lot of different type of gamer mentalities out there and i think there is a way to develop games around that market not just a game that i think i would like to play and hope others do too but games designed to a particular mentality

for instance i have noted that quite a few gamers have become interested in the arena/tournament style of playing
why arent there more games designed around that
games like a tale in the desert which start over periodically
there is a group that is dedicated to that game style
text based strategy games with more of a management style that is less intensive
or what about a game that combines all of these elements?

this game wouldnt cost much to be involved in and would bring in money through users buying game items (yes this is not a new concept) items that do not give unfair advantages but can enhance game play/cosmetics or vanity items such as tshirts with pics of your epic tournament winning character
stuff like that?

sorry if this doesnt make sense
i am new to talking about ideas here
as to game designer career i have no clue but hey everone knows they write up the ideas fist would be to read article on story design for media and thing like that. Even normal story writing should help. But the design usually leads the team. So they must know quite a bit to talk with each group. Im not saying they have to program that is far from what im saying they should know what they want and how they want it. email me if you have more questions and if boyfriend needs help programming tell him that this place along with others are great resources
Bring more Pain
is an idea and story how games start?
what is the process for creating a game as far as building it up
that is what i want to understand
i am not concerned about graphics
i think with the power of the computers out there and the speed of the internet games can be beautiful and have high definition and lots of neat special effects
so all that will follow
we are currently trying to develop a story around a space fantasy mmorpg that would probably take tons of money and about 4-5 years to develop right
that idea we coudnt do unless we had quite a bit of money but it's still fun talking about it and coming up with new ways to do things
one of the things we want is a game that isnt as item centric
a game where what you wear is for vanithy and taste and not related to combat modifiers
also a game that could become immune to this plague that happens where the game becomes marketable on ebay
we want a game that ppl want to play not rush thru and get the epic gear and then be bored
a game that rewards you for playing and interacting and doesnt punish you if you want to go help your new friend start by allowing you to redo low quests and be scaled down so it is fun and you get some reward for playing that is also scaled down
a game that is almost completely skill driven with no limit to what you can learn as long as you want to build that skill up
these are jsut some of the things we talk about
i know i am probably in the wrong area for this kind of talk lol

typing it out trying to say it to others is helping me put it together in my head
Hi. I just wanted to say that I'm the same way as you are! I've been a gamer for the better part of my life, and have ever since decided to make games my way. There were very influential games that affected my decision, most notably FF series and MGS series.

I'm still trying to learn my way through it all. I'm currently making my first 2D paddle-and-ball game. Silly? Yes, but very helpful if I ever wanted to move forward.

However, I don't share your business plans, as I know that making games would take forever, specially with a small team (or in my case, just me!).

So, I'm more focused on making my ideas become reality. And who knows, I might end up with a big game developer company XD

EDIT: Oh, a MMORPG that's fun to play? Very fun idea to hear, but very difficult to implement. One part of my reasoning is that if it could be done, it would have been done by now. But keeping on dreaming, because our dreams are what make us great! I hope you can reach that dream. But I keep hearing you talking about money, when I think skill is more important than money :S
Okay, stop stop stop. There's something we gotta talk about first.

Here I have annotated a partial photo of a keyboard. At the moment, you appear to have confused the keys marked 1 and 2. As you can see, #1 is the Enter key, which you seem to be using quite heavily. #2 is the period key, which you have almost never used at all. I'm gonna need you to start using #2 instead of #1 from now on, when appropriate per the rules of English. Right now you've got it way wrong. It's quite simple really. If you feel the urge to press #1, press #2 instead and see if that doesn't work better. Remember, it's better to stick to key #2.

[Edited by - Promit on October 14, 2008 8:25:44 PM]
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement