Directx 10

Started by
1 comment, last by jollyjeffers 15 years, 6 months ago
Just received Frank Lunas new Dx10 book, and am working my way through it. Now im not an experienced DirectX user, as i only started using it since 9c, working from Franks 2nd book. But from what i can see, there has been a huge overall in the framework, of course i expected changes in an update of a framework, but its very different from dx9. There seems to be a lot more setting up, and a lot more structures needing to be initialised, to use create* functions, kinda like how win32 is. Just wondering if anyone has found this to be a problem with porting their game from Dx9 to 10, seems like a huge amount of work, if you have functions and classes creating things the way Dx9 use to. Im only just getting into the book, so its probably to early for me to be making assumptions, but the changes i have noticed so far are 1. Dx10 has no Id3dObject, and just a d3dDevice 2. Has a new interface for rendering targets, regarding depth/stencil views etc 3. D3DX is vastly reduced As i said, im only beginning this book, so i may have got stuff wrong here, but i was just wondering your thoughts of the frameworks changes?
Advertisement
My key Direct3D 10 observations:

DXGI: Separates adapter management from rendering.
No fixed-function pipeline: Create shaders to do everything.
Better lost-device handling: Swap chain returns "occluded", and you simply retry until it comes back.
Automatic full-screen/windowed mode switching: With hooks for resizing backbuffers.
Geometry-Shader Stage: brand new
No Device Caps: higher level descriptions, more automatic behaviour, fewer manual code paths.

I personally like the changes in the pipeline so far.

(Note: I have not read Frank Luna, but I have been using DirectX since version 4)
D3D10 is a fundamental break in the chain. It is not an incremental release over D3D9 like D3D8->D3D9 could've been seen (or D3D10->10.1->11). The closest I can think of is back to the D3D7->D3D8 change which was quite big.

The Win32 style doesn't necessarily work for everyone, but generally speaking the change have been accepted with open arms from most of the dev community - another incremental iteration on top of D3D9 would've been fugly for sure [smile]

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement