C# ? SlimDX, XNA

Started by
6 comments, last by amethyste 15 years, 6 months ago
Hi, I develop with C++/SDL/OpenGL and now I want make a game with C#, it's a really good language. But now, I search a good API to make a game. XNA and SLIMDX are the two answers, but what is the best. Xna 3.0 is limited ? where is a good documentation to xna3 ? SlimDX have not documentation ? Not compatible with .NET 3.5 ? Thanks Sorry but I'm not very good in english :-) [Edited by - amethyste on October 16, 2008 7:14:47 AM]
Advertisement
You won't find any official documentation for XNA Game Studio 3.0 because it's still in beta. You can definitely check out the 2.0 documentation right here. 99.9% of everything in 2.0 is still there and functions just the same in 3.0. It's mostly just additions; not subtractions or breaking changes.

As for it being limited, that depends on what you want to do. It is correct that the XNA Framework does not support Direct3D 10 or shader model 4. Beyond that, however, there are pretty much no limitations on Windows because you can simply replace any functionality you want with any third party library you'd like. On the Xbox 360, you don't have that luxury.

If you have any specific questions about what you think is limited in the XNA framework, do ask so I can either confirm your suspicions or clear up any misconceptions.
Quote:Original post by amethyste
SlimDX have not documentation ?
http://slimdx.mdxinfo.com/ -> [ Latest documentation ] [smile] (the mdxinfo.com site is also linked from their google code homepage)

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Thanks for the reply.

I want make a RTS as Age of empire 2 or warcraftIII.

The C# is good (bench, quality of api) to make a game (not tetris or mahjong) ?
XNA is a game toolkit from microsoft, but what is the limitations ?
SlimDX is a wrapper do Directx with C#, XNA with C# is a good choice to make a good game or it's very limited, and SlimDX is better ?

Maybe I don't change and keep C++ with OGL ?

EDIT : I find this
http://www.xnaexpert.com/English/article004-1.htm

[Edited by - amethyste on October 16, 2008 7:19:56 AM]
The graphics functionality in XNA is basically a light wrapper around native D3D9. There's a few quirks in there to keep things consistent with the Xbox 360 (for example if you used one depth buffer, used another, then switched back to the original, the contents of that depth buffer would be lost). You also can't access a few of the vendor-specific stuff like depth-buffer readback, or R2VB. However for the most part things are mostly the same as they are when using D3D9 in SlimDX.

The upside of XNA is that you get a nice framework you can use (if you choose to use it). You've got the Game class which can help set up a game loop and a window very quickly, you've got input classes, you've got sound stuff, and you've got the Content Pipeline. But like Nick mentioned, this stuff is all optional and on PC you can use whatever libraries you'd like.
XNA has a lot more than just rendering since it also ties into the Xbox Live core including gamer profiles, Live networking, etc.
XNA 3.0 is scheduled to be released on October 30th. It should contain full documentation when released. Not to mention that you will be able to start selling your game on XBox Live Marketplace starting November 19th. Additionally, the XNA team has done a very nice job posting tutorials and examples on the creators.xna.com website.

Nothing should prevent you from using SlimDX with the .NET 3.5 assemblies. Microsoft has intentionally designed the Framework to build upon the existing .NET Framework. Unless I'm misunderstanding your question...

Considering that a large number of machines are still running Windows XP, I really do not see XNA using DirectX 9 as a major disadvantage. There will be a much larger user base that will be able to run your game. Plus this gains a path to distributing your game on a 360 or Zune.
Thanks I start with XNA :-)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement