Play tester

Started by
5 comments, last by nprz 15 years, 5 months ago
Hi everybody. My name is cody and i am 16. I want to become a playtester. What kind of skills and qualifications are required?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by CodyClay
I want to become a playtester.
Just to make sure you are clear on the concept, those ads on Craigslist offering $80/hour for playing games are bogus. To earn a good living in this area, you need to be more along the lines of a QA engineer.
Quote:What kind of skills and qualifications are required?
The very basics include the ability to test every aspect of a system, diagnose bugs, carefully determine under what conditions they occur and are reproducible, document your findings clearly and carefully for the maintenance team. The ability to program, understand assembly code, and proficiency with a debugger are all valuable additions.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Hi Cody,
I don't know about India, but in the US you need to be 18.
And no matter what country you live in, you have to live within daily commuting distance of a game company that hires testers.
Read my FAQ 5: http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson5.htm

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote:Original post by CodyClay
Hi everybody.
My name is cody and i am 16.
I want to become a playtester.
What kind of skills and qualifications are required?

Observant. You don't play just to play. You play to test, which means that it won't bore you beating the game 20x.
Thanks Everybody.
I not only wanna beecome a playtester but designer and vfx artist too.
Your replies really helped.
"play tester" or quality assurance, / game tester are usually the entry point for people with no qualifications / currently possessing any development related skills to offer a company...... its not all "fun and games tho"... make sure your english is spot on #, as companies look for people who can write up bug reports as good, and hone your "games tech" skills enough to being able to find issues and at least have a stab at working out why there happening..... being able to recreate the problems you find is a must........ prepare to do 12 hour days at work. and THEN spend another 3-4 hours at home after work practising your skills in the subject area you wish to get into, as its not an easy route in through QA unless you already have the required skills
http://stowelly.co.uk/
Quote:Original post by Stowelly
... quality assurance, ... are usually the entry point for people with no qualifications / currently possessing any development related skills to offer a company......

Sorry to butcher your quote or if I'm taking it out of context by removing a few words.

But QA isn't really an entry level position to a company. It is usually a position that may not require the same skills that a Developer position may and some people may consider it as a way to get a foot in the door.
Maybe Game testers don't need development related skills, but at my company, no QA will get hired unless they have a least one language that is used, such as Java, Python or Perl.
Manually testing the same thing 20x is a waste of time in my opinion and is better served by automating it so you can test something else and find new bugs.

And for CodyClay, do read Tom Sloper's page. It is well written and is also quite true for general QA position.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement