Sign in to follow this  
Kurasu1415

New, Torque, XNA, What?

Kurasu1415    170
Ok, so here is the deal. I know basic Direct X stuff, and I want to be serious about this game I am developing. My main concern is, should I use something like Torque, XNA or something of that caliber, or should I just go straight into Direct X? I want it to have online capabilities, and I have heard that torque and XNA have some issues in that area right now.

I'm not aware of any networking issues that XNA has. I am using it now to create a 2D MMORPG and haven't run into any issues. XNA is just a rendering engine with some higher level game related features built into it.

I can't speak for torque at all, however a few years ago Torque Network Library was up there and rated as one of the best available C++ network libs next to Rakknet. My bet is that it's still true.

What language are you using? If .NET, then I would go with XNA. You can also use SlimDX as a wrapper for D3D as well.

Quote:
Original post by Kurasu1415
Ok, so here is the deal. I know basic Direct X stuff, and I want to be serious about this game I am developing. My main concern is, should I use something like Torque, XNA or something of that caliber, or should I just go straight into Direct X? I want it to have online capabilities, and I have heard that torque and XNA have some issues in that area right now.

Depends on how much control/time-waste you want. An engine does a lot for your for free, but limits your control over things to some extent (some engines are extensible by design though). Writing your own engine is on the other hand very time-consuming - but teaches you a lot in return, and gives you full control. If you really prioritize finishing the development of the game high, use an engine instead of coding one from scratch. XNA is not an engine, it's a collection of commonly used code. A choice like that - code library instead of engine - is a bit of a middle ground between using an existing engine and own engine. Be sure to look into as many engines and libraries as possible before choosing though. XNA and Torque are just two of around twenty very popular choices. Ogre, CrystalSpace, Irrlicht are all popular game engines, for example.