DirectPlay

Started by
5 comments, last by sirlemonhead 15 years, 6 months ago
Ok, so I am trying to get a setup where the player will run the client, the client sends basic info to a server, and the server takes more information from a MySQL database. It is similiar to the way an MMO works. I have heard that DirectPlay is horrible, and doesn't work. Would it be better to use DirectPlay, or just go straight Winsock? Thank you to anyone who can help.
Advertisement
I'm not sure it doesn't work, but I think it wouldn't be a wise choice to use DPlay. There are plenty off possible compatibility pitfalls, and now that it is no longer supported, they'll be hard to work around.

Also, since it's a more complex system than just WinSock, you have less freedom to do things the way you want to. While this isn't always an advantage, with todays Windows built-in firewall requirements and other issues, getting DirectPlay to play along might be very time consuming, to say the least.
Sirob Yes.» - status: Work-O-Rama.
Ah, I see your point. I was unaware that directPlay was no longer supported. I guess I will just learn Winsock 2 then. Any other suggestions?
Does anyone know what Network APIs are multi-platform? I am wanting to use OpenGL, so it would be nice to have multiplatform network APIs.
Quote:Original post by Kurasu1415
Does anyone know what Network APIs are multi-platform? I am wanting to use OpenGL, so it would be nice to have multiplatform network APIs.
Plain sockets are about as cross platform as you can get (Or there's SDL_net, etc, see the Multiplayer and Network Programming Forum FAQ for a list). Basically, you can use WinSock, just avoiding all the WSA*() functions (Except WSAStartup and WSACleanup which you'll need some #ifdefs to make sure you call on Windows systems)
I always felt Raknet was a fairly solid choice of networking middleware.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
I like Enet

http://enet.bespin.org/

used it recently to replace DirectPlay code in a game

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement