Sign in to follow this  
Evil Zortag

Code for top-down 2d "dungeon"

I am a lazy programmer looking for some code that I am sure someone has already written. What I am looking for is almost Rogue-like. I am building an RPG tabletop program. I am looking for code that will show a top-down view of a level/maze/dungeon. I need to be able to walk the maze, but do not need anything fancier. I do want doors to be openable and not show the area behind the door until it is opened. I am a good C#/C++/C/VB/asm programmer, I just have not done any game development since I ported ADVENT to 370/OS (yes, I am that old). I am looking for PC code, and do not care too much about cross-platform support. -*Zortag*-

I'm curious...if you're a "good C#/C++/C/VB/asm programmer", then why did you put this in the "beginner" section?

Also, do you want code for reference? Or just code to copy?

Good questions.

I spent a day going over the stuff on this site and realized that I may be a programmer, but I am not by any stretch of the imagination, a GAME programmer. Heck, I had to read the enitre glossary in the Wiki just so I could understand the words folks were using. So in spite of my experience, I am still a Noob among the pros here.

I am trying to do a quick-and-dirty app so I can run D&D games easier. Source that is close, that I can look at is good. Source that I can hack upon to create my "masterpiece" would be even better.

If y'all think that this is in the wrong topic, I implore the moderator to move this thread to the correct place.

-*Zortag*-

Did you search SourceForge? There has to be something like what you are looking for:

http://sourceforge.net/search/?words=rouge&type_of_search=soft&pmode=0&words=roguelike&Search=Search

Try the "Simple Game" resourse on BYOND.com (after downloading their programming language). It has support for items, monsters, fighting, and you can even take it online to make it possible an MMO (not required)!