Physics for a Game

Started by
10 comments, last by jpetrie 15 years, 6 months ago
I am making a game where a 4.90 -kg ball is dropped from a height of 12.5 m above one end of a uniform bar that pivots at its center. The bar has mass 7.50 kg and is 9.00 m in length. At the other end of the bar sits another 4.40 -kg ball, unattached to the bar. The dropped ball sticks to the bar after the collision. How high will the other ball go after the collision?
Advertisement
Are we to assume that the ball goes directly upwards the moment the bar is hit?
Yes.
Are you assuming the collision is perfectly elastic, meaning no energy is lost in collisions?
Quote:Original post by Satan666
I am making a game where...

You know, your game sounds very familiar. I'm sure I've seen it before somewhere.

Yes.
So adding the words "I am making a game where" and changing the thread's title makes it not your homework anymore? Or did you not quite understand jpetrie?
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
It'll go about 15 and a half meters high.
Quote:Original post by paulscode
It'll go about 15 and a half meters high.

I tried using conservation of momentum and got that answer too, but amazingly that is not correct. I put it into my game, and it does not work.
IT is close enough, the player will not notice the difference. BTW, the difference is related to torque (*hint)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement