Looking for a good project for my math club

Started by
1 comment, last by aka_sova 15 years, 6 months ago
My school just started a math club (which is composed mostly of calculus 1 students) and we are trying to think up a good first project. Making a game was suggested, which I liked because I'm a game programmer at heart, but no one else in the group is. I'm the only one with programming experience. So I decided to come up with a programming/game project that is so math based that we all can have equal parts in the project. I was thinking about suggesting a simple physics simulation... but I'm still considering other options. I need something that will take loads of math to make, and will be an exercise in, or show the importance of, math while playing. Any suggestions?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
Advertisement
Project Euler has great programming + math problems. No individual one is going to take too long for a whole group (well, not the early ones at least), but there are over 200 of them. Plus, you could have competitions for people to complete them first.

Some of the projects can be solved faster by doing out the math than by coding a program, but many require some programming. (By "require" I mean, you would have to do hundreds or thousands of calculations to do it by hand.)
1) Make the program to solve equations :) All types of them! And draw graphics, and so on.

2) Physics imitator. You can program all the mechanic physics and even with graphics - that would be cool!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement