Issue with inheritance

Started by
4 comments, last by binchawpz 15 years, 6 months ago
While i'm not new to programming i've been programming for the last 10 years since i was in 7th grade, and unfortunately i am self taught ( i see this as a good thing and a bad thing times) so here is my issue, I've been working on a mud code base on and off for the last few i decided to start back from scratch with the idea of actually planning it out and having goals so that i don't encounter feature creep and to make it easier to implement scripting so i got all my networking running and logins and stuff working so i sat down to create a base game object that would hold common settings to all obejects

//objects.h

class cObject
{
public:
    cObject();
    cObject(cObject & Object);
    ~cObject();

int Save(cGwmlFile &File); 
    /*cGwmlFile is my markup language custom file libary */
    int Load(cGwmlFile &File);

cBuffer Name;
    long ID;
protected:
};

and here is my second header file describing the player object, if i understand things correctly and i'm using the correct terminology *crosses fingers* it has an overloaded int save() which is passed (const char *) for a filename to open the selected cGwmlFile.
[source lang= "cpp"]

//player.h

#include "objects.h"

class cPlayer: public cObject
{
public:
    cPlayer();
    cPlayer(cPlayer & Player);
    ~cPlayer();

int Load(const char * cpFileName);
    int Save(const char * cpFileName);
private:
};

now here is a quick example of what i want to do
[source lang = "cpp"]
//player.cpp

int cPlayer::Load(const char * cpFileName)
{
    cGwmlFile File;

if(File.Open(cpFileName))
    {
        /* i load the player base file structure here
        and then i wanted to call the int cObject::Load(cGwmlFile & File)
        function to finish loading the default Object information 
        */

Load(File); // <---- Error
        /*here is the error i'm getting

error: no matching function for call to `cPlayer::Load(cGwmlFile&)'
        */
        return 1;
    }
    return 0;
}

i thought that because cPlayer is derived from cObject that would be a ble to the cObject::Load(cGwmlFile & File) from with in the overloaded cPlayer(const char * FileName) with out having to rewrite that portion of the code any help would be appreciated this is a cut down version of my code but it creates the same error i'm having from my main code base and was hoping that this would make it easier to find either a solution to my issue or help me find a work around thanks edited to put source in source blocks
0))))))>|FritzMar>
Advertisement
Did you try:
cObject::Load(File);
?
There is more info in the C++ FAQ. Though it may be useful to make the cObject class an abstract base class and just create a set of virtual functions for the subclasses to use. That way you don't have to mess around with specific calls. Plus, with the method you are currently using, things will get particularly messy if you are storing cPlayer specific data that the cObject save and load methods don't know anything about.
thx alot, that worked. i guess i've been beating my head too hard on my desk to see what should have been simple

0))))))>|FritzMar>
binchawpz, thats one of the reasons i wanted to be able to derive from a base class was so that i could have it write out all the general stuff down all by it self cObject doesn't really care about what the name of the file is just that it exist so weather there is any other custom data for the player it just handles loading and saving the cObject specific data so i don't have to rewrite that part of my code ever time, I just have to define the player data to be saved/loaded then call load/save on the cObject to load the rest of the data :)
0))))))>|FritzMar>
Ah, well in that case I do believe you're good to go.

Have fun

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement