Sign in to follow this  
Sparks

[web] Anyone use ORMs?

Hey does anyone use any object relational mapping software/dlls/wateva for your website or are they just too much trouble. I'm using Nhibernate at work and i'm having trouble with objects not being instantiated or being 'lost' even though the session has not ended... i've obviously made a mistake somewhere but im starting to think ORMs are a pain.

Try this :

http://www.garret.ru/goods.html

It is a true OODBMS, with bindings to C++ and Java. I have been using it for several years very successufully.

My current web-project uses it for all aspects of the service from data storage of 1,000,000+ articles to subscribers and so on.

Good luck!

I use ORMs for my work in Python. They are a pain, especially if you're quite good at SQL and expect to be able to perform complex and efficient queries rather than a load of slow nested loops. So make sure you use one which makes it simple to execute arbitrary queries and pull back raw data, in addition to handling the typical row-as-an-object case.

Quote:
Original post by Kylotan
I use ORMs for my work in Python. They are a pain, especially if you're quite good at SQL and expect to be able to perform complex and efficient queries rather than a load of slow nested loops. So make sure you use one which makes it simple to execute arbitrary queries and pull back raw data, in addition to handling the typical row-as-an-object case.

Thats why I like Entity Framework and Linq to SQL, both of them get excellent arbitrary query support through Linq. On top of that, you get a typesafe way to compose queries, without the possibility of SQL injection. It basically made all of the instances where people dynamically built SQL queries obsolete.

And Linq (to Databases) is my least favorite part of all the Linq bits.

Can you tell I like Linq?