Sign in to follow this  
Prune

OpenGL Video RAM fragmentation and resource management for continuously running system?

Prune    224
Basically I don't know how to handle this situation: Consider a continuously running system which loads and unloads modules based on a schedule very frequently (on average every minute) but the OpenGL rendering never leaves full-screen; the module switch is completely seamless (maybe a half-second fade in between one module stopping drawing to the OpenGL render thread and the next starting). Now, since I can't preload all the data simultaneously at system startup , and things like textures and VBOs will have to be dynamically loaded, how do I avoid video memory fragmentation from eventually killing performance (and possibly stability)? I need the system to be very stable and cannot do restarts more often than once in 24 hours (preferably once a week).

Numsgil    501
First load in all the data that won't be changing between module loads/unloads, if any. After that, load in a module's texture data. When the module is done, unload it completely before loading the next module data. If you do it this way, there won't be any fragmentation.

Prune    224
Quote:
Original post by Promit
Is this actually an observed problem, or just paranoia?

My boss wants a system that is near unconditionally stable. I better be paranoid if I want to keep my job.

Quote:
Original post by Numsgil
First load in all the data that won't be changing between module loads/unloads, if any. After that, load in a module's texture data. When the module is done, unload it completely before loading the next module data. If you do it this way, there won't be any fragmentation.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm wondering what the best way is to load stuff so that I can do a quick switchover. I would have to preload stuff for the next module before the first is finished, but I'm wondering if a whole bunch of glTexImage, glBufferData, and glMapBuffer will not screw up framerate of whatever's currently running. I could have the next module queueing messages to the render thread to do these with some sparseness (in time) but that seems like not the simplest solution.

Promit    13246
In that case, you're going to have to do heavy stress testing anyway. Why not write a simpler first pass implementation, and then refine based on what you see?

Prune    224
I guess just that in my experience major refinements end up being rewrites of half the stuff heh...

Numsgil's suggestion requires that I unload a module completely before loading the next one. That's a problem in terms of seamlessly going from one to the other, with a half-second black screen or logo being displayed between them acceptable. I'd really need to start loading the next one before unloading the current.

Now imagine doing such a switch around every minute for 24 hours. How likely that video memory would get fragmented and it'll end up with constant swapping with main memory?
At least with system RAM there there is a clear solution--preallocate memory pools. But no void* analogue for VRAM; to do memory management there would be a pain since there'd be preallocate 'free' lists of all different types of objects such as texture with x channels and y resolution (with glTexImage2D), and checking the list for a match to put the new texture in with glTexSubImage2D when loading actual textures, then sending back to free list (example at http://www.codeguru.com/cpp/g-m/opengl/texturemapping/article.php/c5573/ ), and then for VBOs there'd be something like this, etc. and it'll be horrible...

Numsgil    501
The completely-unload-one-before-loading-the-next is the method we're using at work. In our experience unloading a level/module/whatever should be nearly instantaneous. Certainly not anywhere near as long as loading a level/module/whatever. This makes sense when you consider that the driver doesn't have to upload any data to the card when it unloads a texture, it just deletes a handle somewhere.

Prune    224
Sure, the unloading is near instantaneous, but the loading isn't. That's the problem. Consider timeline:

<--0.5sFadeIn----1minModule1Draws-----0.5sFadeOut--><--0.5sSplash--><--0.5sFadeIn----1minModule2Draws-----0.5sFadeOut-->... [to module n then repeat]

After one module finishes running I can't go much over half a second till the second starts drawing. So completely unloading the first before loading the second doesn't seem viable.

gjaegy    126
what you could do is to load the resource you need to load (textures, vbo, etc...) in system mem buffers only (you can do this asynchronously - in a loading thread).

Once all the resources have been loaded into RAM, unload your previous module (including GPUs objects), then simply creates you GPUs buffer and fill them from you RAM buffers. That should be pretty fast, at least this should be the fastest solution (appart from sharing resource between modules, i.e. re-using texture objects/vbo - but this is nearly impossible as they should all have the same size...)

Prune    224
gjaegy, that's the approach I intend to start with. I thought about virtual texturing but the complexity and shader overhead are a turnoff...

Quote:
Original post by V-man
module?

Mostly independent media content packages, such as games, videos, etc. Since the functionality of each is different, i.e. game logic, animation, simulation, rendering and GI algorithms, etc., they're individual dynamically linked (at runtime) libraries and associated data, and only a small subset will fit in memory at a time, in general. The system is non-deterministic due to users interaction, but it needs to run without supervision and users are not intended to have any supervisory role whatsoever and can only interact with the content, not the system it runs on. That's about as descriptive as I can be without violating my NDA LOL

Prune    224
Some will be small and all of those could be preloaded. But some will be using around a GB of RAM (I already have one that does that).
There will be around a dozen or so modules running one after another, and then the cycle repeats indefinitely.
I'm ignoring for now the problem of system memory fragmentation if I'm loading from HD (very likely given the memory limit on a 32-bit system), but might do a custom new/delete for that if it's a problem.

swiftcoder    18432
Quote:
Original post by Prune
Some will be small and all of those could be preloaded. But some will be using around a GB of RAM (I already have one that does that).
And how much data will be shared between modules?

It sounds like you should be able to load all the new assets into RAM, and then flush out all the data in the GPU and submit the new data. This way you can preload from the HD, and you shouldn't have any fragmentation in the GPU.