Video RAM fragmentation and resource management for continuously running system?

Started by
13 comments, last by Prune 15 years, 5 months ago
Basically I don't know how to handle this situation: Consider a continuously running system which loads and unloads modules based on a schedule very frequently (on average every minute) but the OpenGL rendering never leaves full-screen; the module switch is completely seamless (maybe a half-second fade in between one module stopping drawing to the OpenGL render thread and the next starting). Now, since I can't preload all the data simultaneously at system startup , and things like textures and VBOs will have to be dynamically loaded, how do I avoid video memory fragmentation from eventually killing performance (and possibly stability)? I need the system to be very stable and cannot do restarts more often than once in 24 hours (preferably once a week).
"But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?" --Mark Twain

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Looking for a high-performance, easy to use, and lightweight math library? http://www.cmldev.net/ (note: I'm not associated with that project; just a user)
Advertisement
Is this actually an observed problem, or just paranoia?
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
First load in all the data that won't be changing between module loads/unloads, if any. After that, load in a module's texture data. When the module is done, unload it completely before loading the next module data. If you do it this way, there won't be any fragmentation.
[size=2]Darwinbots - [size=2]Artificial life simulation
Quote:Original post by Promit
Is this actually an observed problem, or just paranoia?

My boss wants a system that is near unconditionally stable. I better be paranoid if I want to keep my job.

Quote:Original post by Numsgil
First load in all the data that won't be changing between module loads/unloads, if any. After that, load in a module's texture data. When the module is done, unload it completely before loading the next module data. If you do it this way, there won't be any fragmentation.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm wondering what the best way is to load stuff so that I can do a quick switchover. I would have to preload stuff for the next module before the first is finished, but I'm wondering if a whole bunch of glTexImage, glBufferData, and glMapBuffer will not screw up framerate of whatever's currently running. I could have the next module queueing messages to the render thread to do these with some sparseness (in time) but that seems like not the simplest solution.
"But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?" --Mark Twain

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Looking for a high-performance, easy to use, and lightweight math library? http://www.cmldev.net/ (note: I'm not associated with that project; just a user)
In that case, you're going to have to do heavy stress testing anyway. Why not write a simpler first pass implementation, and then refine based on what you see?
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
I guess just that in my experience major refinements end up being rewrites of half the stuff heh...

Numsgil's suggestion requires that I unload a module completely before loading the next one. That's a problem in terms of seamlessly going from one to the other, with a half-second black screen or logo being displayed between them acceptable. I'd really need to start loading the next one before unloading the current.

Now imagine doing such a switch around every minute for 24 hours. How likely that video memory would get fragmented and it'll end up with constant swapping with main memory?
At least with system RAM there there is a clear solution--preallocate memory pools. But no void* analogue for VRAM; to do memory management there would be a pain since there'd be preallocate 'free' lists of all different types of objects such as texture with x channels and y resolution (with glTexImage2D), and checking the list for a match to put the new texture in with glTexSubImage2D when loading actual textures, then sending back to free list (example at http://www.codeguru.com/cpp/g-m/opengl/texturemapping/article.php/c5573/ ), and then for VBOs there'd be something like this, etc. and it'll be horrible...

The completely-unload-one-before-loading-the-next is the method we're using at work. In our experience unloading a level/module/whatever should be nearly instantaneous. Certainly not anywhere near as long as loading a level/module/whatever. This makes sense when you consider that the driver doesn't have to upload any data to the card when it unloads a texture, it just deletes a handle somewhere.
[size=2]Darwinbots - [size=2]Artificial life simulation
Sure, the unloading is near instantaneous, but the loading isn't. That's the problem. Consider timeline:

<--0.5sFadeIn----1minModule1Draws-----0.5sFadeOut--><--0.5sSplash--><--0.5sFadeIn----1minModule2Draws-----0.5sFadeOut-->... [to module n then repeat]

After one module finishes running I can't go much over half a second till the second starts drawing. So completely unloading the first before loading the second doesn't seem viable.

what you could do is to load the resource you need to load (textures, vbo, etc...) in system mem buffers only (you can do this asynchronously - in a loading thread).

Once all the resources have been loaded into RAM, unload your previous module (including GPUs objects), then simply creates you GPUs buffer and fill them from you RAM buffers. That should be pretty fast, at least this should be the fastest solution (appart from sharing resource between modules, i.e. re-using texture objects/vbo - but this is nearly impossible as they should all have the same size...)
Gregory Jaegy[Homepage]
module?
Sig: http://glhlib.sourceforge.net
an open source GLU replacement library. Much more modern than GLU.
float matrix[16], inverse_matrix[16];
glhLoadIdentityf2(matrix);
glhTranslatef2(matrix, 0.0, 0.0, 5.0);
glhRotateAboutXf2(matrix, angleInRadians);
glhScalef2(matrix, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
glhQuickInvertMatrixf2(matrix, inverse_matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation1, 1, FALSE, matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation2, 1, FALSE, inverse_matrix);

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement