Learning DirectX DX9 or DX10

Started by
2 comments, last by mmakrzem 15 years, 6 months ago
I am starting DirectX after disliking the flavor of XNA (Yes I know I could use SlimDX but I am set on using DirectX and C++). I have dabbled around with pure DirectX9, DirectX10 and DirectX10. I am wondering, being a newbie to 3D graphics and having only dabbled with each of these, which one should I stick with. Should I use DX9, use DXUT as the basic framework for an engine, or use DirectX10? Also, I really don't care about making games super fast, I really just want to learn more about 3D game programming and programming in general. Your input is appreciated. Edit: I think I am going to opt out on DXUT even though it seems nice because I want to learn about what's "under the hood" a bit more. Edit Again: I forgot to mention that I have windows vista. [Edited by - jdub on October 23, 2008 12:10:17 AM]
J.W.
Advertisement
Looking at your needs I would say DirectX10, although if your graphics card doesn't support it, then performance will have to become an issue weather you like it or not, causing you to change to DirectX9
I would recommend you learn both API's, as not all cards today support DX10 yet. :)
When I started learning DirectX it was back in the days of DirectX7. Shortly thereafter DX8 came out and there were a few major changes that I had to learn. Then DX9, but the changes were not so big. I haven't looked at DX10.

Converting from one to another is pretty easy once you understand the core foundation of how 3D graphics work. I'd say start with DX9 since it has been around longer and you'll be able to find more help/code examples etc for things that you want to do.

I no longer work with DirectX so much since I moved over to OpenGL. I found that working with OpenGL was much easier than DirectX, but maybe thats just me.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement