• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Guy Meh

Cross-platform way to get files and folders inside a given folder

This topic is 3552 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm thinking I'd better implement saving into my game soon. In order to do that, I need to implement file dialogs. I need some cross-platform way (at least Mac and Windows) to find the files and folders inside a given start folder. My project is written in C++ and uses SDL, if that is any help.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Guy Meh
Anything that doesn't require Boost? :[

Java. Or you can do the same like the rest, and create your own file "dialogs".

Quote:
Original post by Guy Meh
Anything that doesn't require Boost? :[
PhysFS. Might be a bit heavyweight for what you want, but it is a very decent system.
Quote:
Then again, I probably want to pick up Boost eventually...
QFT.
Quote:
Original post by Raghar
Java. Or you can do the same like the rest, and create your own file "dialogs".
Pretty sure he is in C++ here, and that this is about implementation, not GUI.

You could also consider using a cross platform GUI toolkit like wxWidgets to handle things for you.

Quote:
Original post by guvidu
I agree with SiCrane - WxWidget its what you need. Easy to use and very powerfull.
The OP asked for a way to iterate a directory - not render a GUI widget. wxWidgets is fine for an editor, but it is extremely hard to integrate in to a game.

Quote:
Original post by swiftcoder
PhysFS. Might be a bit heavyweight for what you want, but it is a very decent system.

I've read about PhysFS, since I was also thinking about using it to handle my save files. I've noticed though that it looks pretty low-level, where I'm pretty much working with raw bits. Is there any wrapper or something that makes it a bit higher-level, sort of like the iostream classes in C++?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!