Windows Server Client Access Licensing - a problem for game servers?

Started by
11 comments, last by Polydone 15 years, 5 months ago
> you'll probably agree that it doesn't matter if they're NT users or not

I don't agree. Authentication in the Windows sense is completely different than what you are doing. You users won't have NT accounts on the server.

> "otherwise individually identified by the server software
> or through any other means" is so loosely phrased that it
> would cover any form of login.

The way I read it goes like this: "You DON'T need a CAL license if connections to the server is made through the Internet without going through the NT authentication mechanism". That leaves the door opened for any sort of custom applications that have their own mechanisms for identifying inbound socket connections.

-cb

Advertisement
If what the OP is worried about was true, wouldn't that mean any server running a web-service would consider every user needing a license, which could run into millions!
I got a reply back from Microsoft, saying it looks like I need the external connector license for my scenario...

Quote:If what the OP is worried about was true, wouldn't that mean any server running a web-service would consider every user needing a license, which could run into millions!

Or a web forum... If access is "authenticated or otherwise individually identified by the server software or through any other means" - that's what the $2000 external connector license is for - unlimited number of external connections. That's also why they offer the Windows Web Server that doesn't need cals or external connector licenses for authenticated access through the internet. You're not allowed to run an MMORPG server on Windows Web Server though :)

Quote:Original post by cbenoi1
> you'll probably agree that it doesn't matter if they're NT users or not

I don't agree. Authentication in the Windows sense is completely different than what you are doing. You users won't have NT accounts on the server.

> "otherwise individually identified by the server software
> or through any other means" is so loosely phrased that it
> would cover any form of login.

The way I read it goes like this: "You DON'T need a CAL license if connections to the server is made through the Internet without going through the NT authentication mechanism". That leaves the door opened for any sort of custom applications that have their own mechanisms for identifying inbound socket connections.

-cb

That's also what I would like to think, but I just can't see how in any way how "identified by any other means" would only apply to NT authentications.

Developer journal: Multiplayer RPG dev diary

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement