Troubles with X-files

Started by
4 comments, last by butthead_82 15 years, 5 months ago
Hi, I'm working with .X format on this project I'm working on. So...I find some models and try to convert them with some converters to .X or export them with some plugins, but they just don't work...they end up with messed up meshes or loose skeletons or something else... I finally decided to make my own models and I need some advice about which modeling tool should be best for me. Which tool has reliable .X exporter. (I was thinking about blender or truespace7.6) I appreciate any advice.
Advertisement
I've used trueSpace in the past to make .X files and I had no problems. I was using trueSpace v6.6 but I imagine that v7.6 should work fine as well.
Thanks for info. I'll go check it.
How come when I export a model in truespace in .X format it doesn't export skeleton as a skeleton but as a piece of geometry?
This is a problem with most exporters for most model types, but especially those model types like .X that are not very rigid in structure -- there are multiple different ways to convert the source data from the modelling tool into the target format (the .X file), and every exporter has to pick how to perform that export. Most of the time, this can produce files that are slightly different than you expect, which means you won't load them properly or they won't contain the data you want in the format you're expecting, et cetera.

It's also possible that there are bugs in the exporters, too.

In the end, you're probably just going to have to experiment until you find something that suits your needs unmodified, or examine the apparently incorrect outputs until you can see what is different and understand how to adjust your loader, or the inputs to the exporter, to get the results you need.
Quote:Original post by jpetrie
In the end, you're probably just going to have to experiment until you find something that suits your needs...

I have painfully became aware of this last few days :)
Thanks for helping

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement